Cat out of the Bag

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well,

You all have seen the picture of the buckle (here it is again) & a number of you have even ordered the resin casting as a study aid.

Now I can let you in on who it was for: It was commissioned by the American Pistolsmith's Guild as a companion piece in a presentation being made to George W. Bush. There was a gun too but I will let Brian Powley tell you about that (by the way, he did a masterful job on it!) I held back on the part about who it was for until after Mr. Bush had received the buckle.
By the way, the scene on the buckle was based on Mr. Bush's favorite painting & he loved it!

Today Brian & I along with several members of the Pistolsmith's Guild had the great honor and privilege of being in Dallas at Mr. Bush's office for the presentation. I must say, Mr. Bush treated us all like we were old friends he had not seen for a while & we all had a very nice visit.

There will be a couple of articles about Brian & Weldon's big adventure in an upcoming issue of the Engraver so, if you are still not a member of FEGA: what are you waiting for??

Attachments

• weldon_10.jpg
    weldon_10.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 269
  • Weldon & GWB.jpg
    Weldon & GWB.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Congratulations Weldon and Brian

I'm glad the presentation went well for you both and it'll certainly be a moment to remember for you.

And of course President Bush has now 2 fine examples of American engraving by two highly talented engravers. Something I'm sure he will treasure as well.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hmmm. you cant see it, but i am bowing & scraping ! what a cool thing to do ! not too many artists get the honor of doing something such as that. were you able to get fotos of the get-together ? that would be something for sure to hang on the old wall.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Two great artists works honoring a great man. Just think this contribution came out of our little engraving community. Very,Very humbling. Nice going Weldon and Brian.

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Three cheers for you Weldon! All political affiliation aside, that really is a tremendous honor and one you can always take great pride in. What a thrill to be able to say the President (past, present, or future) wears your work :) I'll bet you'll keep your eyes peeled on upcoming photos of Bush to see if he's wearing your buckle. Definitely hang a picture of you with the President in your engravig shop-what a great achievement!

I once met Julia Child at a book signing and gave her a ceramic strand of garlic bulbs I cast and she loved them. She sent me a lovley thank you letter I proudly hang in my kitchen and one day I saw my work hanging in her kitchen on her newest TV series. You'd think I had won the lottery for Pete's sake.
I also give spurs and buckles to the PBR bull riders and for me that's a tremendous thrill-you went all the way to the top with the Prez-good for you and it certainly is a worthy buckle made with care by a master-you rock buddy!
Paul

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon,

Congratulations to you and Brian. What a great experience. One of the high points of your life I would guess. Brian was on cloud nine. Sorry you couldn't come. Will be waiting to see the articles in the "Engraver" magazine.

Rock on!!

By the way the plastic copy is beautiful. Everybody ought to buy one. Excellent study. It goes in with my other treasures. I would have a hard time believing that the original could be any better than this.

Would have liked to see Mr. Bush's face on both counts.

Ron S

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A very big non-partisan congratulations, Weldon and Brian!

What a fine recognition of your engraving arts at a national level. I'll bet that presentation was a moment to savor. You both got the bit between your teeth now.

best

Rod

Sponsors