Critique Request Another drawing

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Well i have been drawing and trying to get it right and i hope this is better than the last one.
Thanks for looking and for any comments
Steve

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
steve.
I'm not the best scroll person but I do notice a couple of things if you are seeking advise. I see at least two elbows or flat spots in the scrolls. Hold it up to a mirror and it will help you to spot the imperfections. Another thing is this. Pay more attention to the empty spaces. The spaces between the leaves should be even or nearly even. Your spaces are very uneven in size. People notice the spaces more than they do the leaves.
It does have nice flow to it.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Steve

It's not too bad really and with a bit of tweaking would come up fine :)

I have a couple of suggestions for you.

When you draw scrolls............try and draw them into a shape. Circle, square, triangle, rectangle, knife bolster, gun part etc etc. This will give you a bit of direction and borders to work within. In some ways this makes it easier............and harder. For this type of design a long rectangle like a bracelet would be ideal.

Your scroll backbone. This is everything in the design. If your scroll backbone isn't correct then everything else falls to bits on you. A bad leaf can be less noticeable......... but a bad scroll backbone sticks out like dogs balls. So........when you draw get that correct before you do anything else. Your backbones in this drawing need attention.

When I draw scrolls I also pencil in the thickness of the scroll backbone very lightly............this helps keep the leaves from intruding too far into this area and helps give better direction for them. It also helps show up defects in the scroll shape and at the head of the scroll..............you may like to try that and see if this works for you.

Point of origin. Your initial scroll on the far left has to grow out of something. All the subsequent scrolls grow out of each other................so your first one has to grow out of something. This can be the border, a screw hole...............or itself. By itself I mean a closed scroll or looping in on itself and onto another scroll etc.

My best advise is just keep at it. You are starting to get the hang of it a bit better :)

Cheers
Andrew

fred carter

scroll backbone

Here is my take on the scroll backbone - just a quick go over the original using tracing paper over the original. I would go over this backbone again if I were going to engrave it myself, maybe several times making small corrections. I do all my drawing on tracing paper for some reason the paper surface allows for smoother drawing - I learned this from a tatoo artist friend - also you can fold the paper and go over your original making corrections and keep folding and retracing until you get the design you like. Fred

Attachments

• comparison-scroll.jpg
    comparison-scroll.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 81

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the Help guys. I thought my backbones were ok until after i looked the picture..... Thanks guys Back to the drawing board......
Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors