Advice/Anyone use an aftermarket microscope?

tmroper

I am at the stage in my engraving where a microscope is well needed, however up to this point it feels like that my money goes to support my engraving habit so as you guessed budget is of concern. I have been using an optivisor up to this point. I am curious if any one has purchased or used an aftermarket microscope? If so how satisfied were you with the purchase and what brand was the equipment. Thanks to everyone who responds.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am not sure what you mean by "aftermarket" but quite a few people spoke highly of The Microscope Store which sells a lot of scopes on EBAY. In my opinion, a microscope is something that you will not regret getting the best you can afford.

I have a Meiji EMZ which is not the best, but a very good quality and functional scope and I am quite happy with it.

Do a search on the forums and you should find some past discussions.

Good Luck,
Peter

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Consider the fact that you'll spend countless hours looking through your microscope. You and your eyes deserve high quality optics. The Meiji scope has become the engraver's standard over the years. It's made in Japan, has good, bright optics, and is very well built. Zeiss scopes are better if you can afford them. Microscopes made in China (Meiji copies) can run anywhere from very poor to acceptable. I've seen several models where one or both eyepieces drifted out of focus as they were zoomed. This will give you headaches and slow your work down considerably. Many are also less bright than Meijis. When it comes to optics such as microscopes, binoculars, and camera lenses, brightness is expensive and you get what you pay for. Another thing is that China is famous for inconsistency in many things they manufacture.

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
I'm kind of in the same boat. What about a referbished. I have found an several older Olympus scopes.

Sam

Staff member
I'm kind of in the same boat. What about a referbished. I have found an several older Olympus scopes.

The Olympus SZIII is a good scope. I used one for many years. It's not very well sealed against dust, and mine grew some sort of mold on the lens elements inside. Finally replaced it with a Meiji.

Sam

Staff member
Seems like a high price for such an old scope, but it says 2-yr warranty. It might be ok, but it needs a 0.5x objective. The GRS Acrobat stand has an optional ring mount available that fits the Olympus scopes, so there is a stand that'll fit. For that price I think I'd put the money toward a new Meiji.

tmroper

Thank you for all the great advice everyone

Peter,
I am sorry for the confusion, what I meant by aftermarket was not neccesarily top name brands as you would find on ebay from the many microscope stores.

Sam,
I really appreciate your comments I was afraid that would be the case. I was just hoping that one of the less mainstream models for around $500 would do the job with out the eyestrain. thank you

Sam

Staff member
tmroper: I'm not saying you can't find a $500 scope that will do the job without eye strain. I really hope you can. Shop carefully and compare if possible. If you buy online be sure you can return it if need be. Go through the setup procedure on shown on iGraver to adjust the scope, then very carefully check it to be sure it stays in focus throughout the zoom range. If focus drifts, I'd send it back.

Best of luck / ~Sam

tmroper

Allan
do you do you mind if I ask how much you have in your meiji EMZ. And thank you for your help.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My first 'scope was a Chinese one and is very similar to the ones offered by the Microscope Store. In fact I was going to order one from them because they were cheaper than here in the UK. I found one on Ebay though which was described as 'new', and with a bit of research, I found out it was being sold by a microscope company over here. I think it was a 'return' because of the labeling on the package, but even so I got it for an amazing price and the optics were quite good.

Latterly, I got hold of a Meiji and I can honestly say it's a hundred times better than the Chinese model in the clarity of the optics and build quality. So you pay you money and make a choice as in most things. Leica and Olympus 'scopes will set you back even more but again, users will tell you that the quality of the optics are worth the extra investment. For myself though, the Meiji is a professional quality bit of kit that will last and its got excellent optics for the money. I'd say only buy a Chinese 'scope if you really can't afford anything else as the two are streets apart.

Last edited:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I purchased my Meiji EMZ off ebay for $345.00. Then I paid $100.00 for a new .5 optic lense. My system is as perfect as I can tell. Every thing works just like new. The company I bought my scope from is out of Canada. They have these scopes on ebay every week or so. I keep checking to see if any one gets a better deal than I got.:D This seller is very professional. With the acrobat from grs and all of my out of pocket expense, I'm still under $1,000.00 including freight. WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET.:)

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Omano mircroscopes

tmroper,

I purchased an Omano stereo scope just about one year ago from The Microscope Store. It is a Chinese product and obviously not in the league with the Zeiss Or Leicas. It came with a ring light and an articulated stand. With the addition of the 0.5 lens, it was still under $900.00. It stays in focus throughout the zoom range and the optics are quite good. I'm used to wearing expensive "surgical telescopes" all day at work and yet I find the Omano optics more than adequate. I've had no eye strain even after many continuous hours at the scope. Adding a good lighting source really helps all scopes. You can buy the dedicated fiberoptic or halogen lights made for microscopes for big bucks, or do what I did and buy a "gooseneck" halogen light from Office Max for $30.00 that works great! The ring lights are only marginally effective, I believe one needs a light source that comes from a side angle to really see your cuts. This is especially true if you plan on doing "sculptural" work, like coin carving.

Now, my experience has been all positive, but be aware, as has been already mentioned before, these Chinese fabricated products do have "Quality Control" issues and some scopes may be real dogs! Be sure you can return a defective scope. I believe the guys at The Microscope Store have a good reputation and would back-up their products.

In closing, if you are planning on an engraving profession, with day after day steadily staring into a scope, then really consider a finer German or Japanese scope. But, if you are like a lot of us "dedicated amateurs" then an Omano may be your answer.

Good luck,

Mark

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone,
I dont use microscope but in optics you get what you pay for.
I shoot rifles quite a bit so a spotting scope comes in handy. The Chinese ones are crummy next to German,Japanese etc.
You think they are ok until you compare.
My Nikon spotter w/ a 20x fixed lenses can pick up .22 bullet hole @ 100yds with ease & clarity.
@ 100 yds. most Chinese stuff can't cut i, they are hazy, poor focus and all the rest.
I say get the very best you can afford & don't look back. the cheaper stuff is usually a disappointment.
That's why its cheaper.
"nothing cheap is ever good and nothing good is ever cheap."
Kent

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
A family quote we often use: "Long after the price is forgotten, the quality remains"

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm buyin the airgraver this week. yippee ! i see a lot of b& l boomer stereo zoomers that seem to be going for less than an arm and leg. perhaps they're not the best, but does anyone know of a reason not to buy the b & l stereo zoomers ?

Swede

Guys, I've just finished literally one solid week of scope hunting. I finally pulled the trigger on a Meiji on eBay. Here's the conclusion I came to...

If you look at an entire Meiji system, you'll get severe sticker shock, because you're buying a Meiji boom, light, etc. I decided instead to do Meiji optics only, and build the rest of the system out of Chinese stuff. Rather than $500 for a boom stand, I paid $100. Same deal with a dual light-pipe fiber optic light - a Chinese light at 1/4 the cost. I'm sure I can put up with (and correct if necessary) shortcomings with everything except the optics.

I haven't got the scope yet, but I even went so far as to order brand new eyepieces from a Meiji dealer, just in case the eyepieces the Meiji were to come with were a bit crusty. I selected 12.5X for the new ones just to be a bit different, and to let my kids play with the scope a bit, get some higher power.

If you do a search on eBay for "Meiji Microscope", you'll see some smoking deals like Glenn's, I virtually guarantee it! :)

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Swede, I really hope you've done the right thing.

I was really pleased with the articulated boom that came with my old scope as it had a terrific reach (great for swinging long barrels around) and a solid steel plate so I could move it if need be (ie it wasn't screwed to the bench). When the Meiji arrived I thought I'd be able to mount it on to my existing boom because I really liked it. Wrong!!! It didn't fit! The mounting ring was the wrong size! 'Well,' I thought, 'I can still use the old post mounted on the steel plate.' Wrong! The post didn't fit the Acrobat arm..... So a few hours and many blunted and broken drills later I managed to drill through the 1/2" steel plate to fit the Meiji Acrobat to it. Why? Basically because sometimes I just want to move the scope out of the way all together.

Hopefully you won't encounter these problems but something tells me otherwise.....It's not in one manufacturers interest for you to go and buy someone else's cheaper boom stand, so they make them in their own sizes.

I really hope everything fits with no problems. Good luck!

Latest posts

Sponsors