Finished knife, presenton box and scroll practice.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thought I would post all 3 at the same time.

Picture
1. This is the finished knife in the box; the knife was previously posted by itself.
2. This is a shot of the top of the box
3. Bottom of presentation box.
4. The last photo is of some scroll practice, with all these scrolls it will give me a good plate to practice leaf structure and shading.
The box is made of cherry and has some inlay work on the top. It is padded with foam and then covered with green velvet. These are not good pictures of the box; the colors do not show as they should.
I haven't had much time at the bench lately. I have another plate ready for more scroll practice, as soon as I can get to it.

Comments please.

Attachments

• PICT0548.jpg
    PICT0548.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 210
  • PICT0549.jpg
    PICT0549.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 151
  • PICT0551.jpg
    PICT0551.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 145
  • PICT0553.jpg
    PICT0553.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 182

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The overall project came out great! :thumbs up:

Your friend should be very pleased.

I can only see one real problem:

That box is going to be a pain for him to carry around to show off along with the knife. ;)

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys for the kind words.
I am really interested in some critique on the scroll practice. If someone could tell me something I am doing wrong, I would appreciate it.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Carl

My best advise on the practice plate is to keep at it.............cut 500 of them if you have to so you can iron out those elbows. You're not doing anything wrong...........you just need more practice, but don't worry.............it will come together for you.

Vary your scroll size from really small 7mm to about 15mm maybe up to 20mm. As you get better go smaller. Practice clockwise and anti clockwise. Practice straight parallel lines as well along the edges of the plate. Go for accuracey and not speed........although sometimes speeding it up can make it go smoother in some cases.

In one Italian school they start off with about a 6 inch square plate and it's about a 1/2" thick. When it's cut they file it off and smooth it out and cut it again...........when they are ready to start engraving actual projects the plate is generally less than a 1/8" thick.

So you have a wee way to go yet :)

Cheers
Andrew

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I have been busy on some other projects and have not had time to get back to the ones that replied.

Andrew,
That is a very interesting story about the 1/2 inch practice plate. That kind of puts things in prospective. Now I know that I have a lot of practicing to do. This will help, no doubt. I will start another plate sometime next week when I get all this other stuff out of the way. Roger Bleile called yesterday and we had a great conversation, and he answered a lot of questions that I had. He also pointed out some of the things I am doing wrong. Roger, I really appreciate the call. Anytime, my friend.

Arnaud,

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Any other comments are welcome, from any other members.

:beerchug: