Memorial Day

Ron Foster

Thanks, Tira . . . and thank God for our veterans
and current members of our armed services !

In spite of selfish politicians and news media
groups that seem to be employed by the enemy,
our nation still stands--due to "luck," "Trust In God,"
and the past and continued sterling performances of our
armed services and law enforcement organizations.

Happy Memorial Day.

Ron Foster

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, may I have your permission to forward that link to some friends? Thank you for sharing that with us. Most people around here have forgotten what memorial day is truly about. Proud to be an American, Seth

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Tira, thank you for your thoughts and the link.
You really bring home the true meaning of Memorial Day.
My flag will fly this weekend in honor of Doctor John and all our other defenders, military, police, paramedic and firemen.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am more troubled than I can say by the death of this man.
On my return from Emporia I sat next to a young man who just completed his first year at the Naval Academy. I hope the mess is cleaned up before it's his time to go.

I am one of five sons. All of us served during war time; none of us was a career military person, a total of 19 years. My parents were fortunate; we all returned alive.
I grieve for those parents who have lost of a son or daughter.
Kevin P.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Sobering thoughts. May they rest in the peace of our Lord.
Thank you for posting this Tira.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Living in Philadelphia (not far from Willow Grove Naval Air Station) I remember this story being in the paper. Having served in a very rudimentary medical capacity in RVN I had the pleasure of working with some very fine front line surgeons. Brave men all, dedicated sometimes to a fault. There are no finer doctors than those with combat experience. It takes a special kind of man to choose to practice medicine in a combat zone, knowing full well that one day you could be the patient. And believe me they know this well.

I'll keep him in my prayers today at our Memorial Day service along with some of my "Grunt" buddies.

Just a note, but did anyone see the tribute to our fallen on public TV live from the Mall in Washington, D.C. last night? They showed the face of war that we don't get to see on the daily news stations. Too bad, fore if they did we would think long and hard before entering into wars.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Tira for this story of your friend and a Great American. I'm sorry for your loss, I thank God for Men & Women like him that so selflessly give themselves for others. They are what makes America Great. May God always keep these men & women and their stories forever on our minds. I just lost a Grandfather that was a tank commander under Patton. He was a "Man" A true Gentleman, a hard worker, He loved deeply, we always new he loved and cared for us. He & his three brothers all served, he & two brothers in the Army and the youngest in the the Navy during war time and lived to come back home. They all gave of themselves to make life better for everyone they Knew. Thank God for this day and for those who give and gave so much. Thank you all,

Dwayne

davec2

Thank you for your post and the story of your friend. I graduated from Annapolis long ago and spent 26 years in the Navy serving in the company of such men. I have lost many shipmates and seen many more changed for the rest of their lives by their wounds. All of us are forever changed by their loss and the wounds we all bear. But all of our lives are also enriched beyond measure by having known them and because of who they were. Their courage radiates from the memories of how they lived and died and it warms those of us who will, in the greater scheme of life, soon follow them beyond this mortal coil.

In 1914, Laurence Binyon, a British poet wrote a poem called, "For the Fallen". The fourth stanza has always inspired solace in me as I remember those friends I have lost through the many years to the harvest of the guns.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

Not just on Memorial Day, but each and every day, for all the days that remain to me, I will remember them.

Dave C

Latest posts

Sponsors