Greener Finished

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's the finished job.

Phil

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
wonderful work! I really love how you blended the wheat and oak leaves in with the scrollwork. Looking at this truly takes me straight to the first crisp autumn day of hunting season.

thanks for sharing!
John C.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Stunning work Phil. Thank you very much for posting your work, it is a pleasure to study.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,

I especially like the barrel wedges, fences, and top lever. Masterfully done.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thats truly remarkable! Perhaps sometime you can lend us your secret for engraving while you sleep. It's amazing how much work you get done. Thanks for showing, Seth

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Outstanding work Phil. Thanks for all the great photos! Your work is truly inspirational!

Dwayne

Paul Chung

beautiful as usual Phil. It really amazes me how quick you work when juggling a few jobs and to such a standard. I think i'll have to start drinking red bull so I can work faster!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a powerful piece of engraving, Phil. Work like this requires lots of study to appreciate all of the detail. Brilliant in every respect.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,
This is a fantasitc job! Thank you for showing.
Now... I have a question for you. Is there a reason that you have the games scenes facing towards the butt of the gun? Over the years I was told it was more or less an unwriten rule the the scenes face the the barrel for the most part. I've others done this way as well but for the most part they face toward the barrel. Just wanted to hear your input on this.
Thanks,
Rex

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Rex,
Normally I would face the birds etc towards the muzzle, but there are no rules for this. Sometimes a scene won't work this way ie. When the birds etc. That I want to use won't fit between the pin holes or just don't look right.

This particular gun is different. It is based on an old Greener pattern although changed with my own input into it.
The original pattern has two scenes to each side with the dogs and birds facing the butt and Greener wanted to keep this. Of course it is possible to reverse the scenes but with the ovals the size they are the dogs would'nt have as much impact because they would be somewhat smaller.

Phil

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,
Thanks for the reply. Like you say there are no "rules" as much as "tradition" for a lack of a better word. I can understand changing it to make a scene work or to follow an original pattern as well. I figured there was a reason to do it on this one but wasn't sure.
Thanks,
Rex

Sponsors