patterns and styles

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Ok, after looking at several of the scroll patterns that are out there, I am seeing a fair semblance to some of the american western leather tooling that I've done over the years.
I've got several southwest patterns for leatherworking,. Can I transfer some of these patterns to engraving patterns at least to start with, or should I start with established engraving scroll patterns?

John C.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John,

Since you are familiar with those patters, try 'em. Reduce them to a scale appropriate to engraving and give it a go. It will be good practice.

WL

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Here are a couple of designs that I pulled out of some old Leather Crafters magazines that I have.

John C.

Attachments

• eng pp 2.jpg
    eng pp 2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 102
  • eng pp 4.jpg
    eng pp 4.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 95

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
John,

They look like great designs for something like a money clip. Reduce them to size and have at it. Add some shading and they will look great.

John S.

Andrew Biggs

Hi John

Yes, a lot of the leatherwork patterns would be very attractive engraved. Al Stohlman's carvings in particular. Johnny Wyerts does a very attractive and incredibley beautiful engraving style that reminds me a lot of the western type leather carving.

If you look at the leather carving and apply the same thinking/logic of displacement with the tools then you're are about half way to metal sculpture with small punches as well.

Cheers
Andrew

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
I'm glad to hear you mention Johny Weyerts. I just don't think he gets enough recognition. He has developed his own beautiful and very unique style.

Stewart

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
usually-- a good design, assuming it is appropriate, is good no matter what it's on. i put many leatherwork patterns on buckles for people & they were thrilled with them.i like the design on the left. not so- the one on the right.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
If I had to stand upside down on the underside of the globe like you do I wouldn't be able to spell either.
Good day to you.

Stewart

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the input!!
It's good to know that I've got a ready supply of patterns to practice on while I'm learning how to make my own scrolls and patterns.
My tools should be in by the end of the week, and I can't wait to get started.
I figured that some of the same shading and vane principles would be similar between the two mediums. I'm currently looking at all the examples I can find of properly shaded flora and scrollwork as to try and wrap my head around the suptle differences.
Again, thanks for all the input, and keep it comming!!

John C.

Latest posts

Sponsors