New member starting from scratch

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Hello All,

As the newest member to the forum, and a complete engraving novice, let me start by saying....WOW..
Now that I've lost the better part of the day reading the lists, I've got more questions that when I started.
Let me give some background on myself first....

I've been doing pierced metalwork by hand, for several years now, and have always hand chased the details into anything that I've been working on. A friend has reciently asked me to do a few fraternal medallions in a historic 18th cent. style. The style lends itselfs incredibly well to engraving, so I thought what the heck, let's learn hand engraving. Ok, ya'll can stop laughing now.

Anyway, This seems the natural progressing for my art, so here we go. :)
As much as I would love to start with the neumatic systems that I've read about, it's just not affordable at the moment. I'm looking at getting the following to start up.
GRS power hone system
GRS standard engraving block
a selection of gravers and quick change hand piece
a block of Chinese White

Is there anything else that would be a *must* for start up?

I've already gotten an instructional dvd by Don Glaser and The Art of Engraving by James Meek to help me get started.

I've mainly worked in base metals and silver in the past, but looking at some of the work of folks on the forum has me looking at steel blanks to practice on.....

John C.

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
This is a great place for support and instruction...you have found home. I am involved with a show to do and post only seldom, but read about all the "how to do's" with great joy....these artists are great, they share, suggest and allow you to grow at your own pace....so, welcome mate !

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome John! It's good to have you here.

One *must* have would be a pencil and paper. There are many threads on the forum about scroll formation and design which will be helpful on your journey. It's very important that you learn to design well along with the technical aspects of cutting and sharpening - and it's cheap and you can practice almost anywhere.

Two books may also be helpful if your budget allows. They are "The Art of Engraving" by Meeks and Advanced Drawing of Scrolls by Ron Smith. You can almost never have enough books with good engraving for inspiration.

Good luck with your start. Let us know how it is going as you progress and don't be afraid to ask questions because there is literally centuries of knowledge represented on the forum. :)

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
John C.

Welcome to the place of help. You cannot imagine the help these folks have given me in the past few months.

Looks like you have got the basic book by James Meek, I would suggest that you get the 2 books by Ron Smith from GRS. These books have helped me tremendously.
:beerchug:

P.S.
Looks like Tira beat me to the punch, LOL

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi John, welcome to the Cafe. As I said recently in another thread, starting up in engraving doesn't have to cost a fortune. If you're hand pushing or using hammer and chisel it will take longer to learn than with an air assisted system because your muscle memory has to be worked on. So my *must* for start up would be just that, TIME. If you've been chasing already you may prefer the hammer and chisel route but if you're looking for refined and more delicate cuts hand pushing is the way to go but either way it will take months to get anywhere near proficient so be prepared for a steep learning curve. My other *musts* are the books by James Meek and Ron Smith.

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the advice!
I placed my order today with the wonderful folks at GRS. The lady who worked with me was *very* patient and helped to get me the best set up that I could afford.
I'm going to start with the basic hand push handle, as well as hammer and graver.
I got a nice selection of gravers to go with a full honing system, and was able to also pick up Sam Alfano's vidio on graver sharpening along with the first book by Ron Smith.
Ok, so here we go....
books...check
paper and pencils...check
tools....on the way
several years worth of scrap brass, nickle, and copper to practice on...check
big cheezy grin... check

thanks guys!
John C.

James Miller

Hi John, How about posting some photos of your pierced work, I would sure be interested in seeing what you have created in the past, as hand saw piercing is one of my favourite pastimes.
You will love this forum, so many talented and quality engravers, who's work you cant help but admire.
James Miller, a UK goldsmith.

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Here are a couple of pieces that I've done reciently.
The cross is 3 inches tall by 2 3/8 inches across. It is brass with a nickle backing plate.
The Lion is nickle.
The enamel is an epoxy colored resin.
The star was a requested piece and is out of brass at around 2 3/4 inches.
The masonic symbol is a replica of the one that was worn by the poet Robet Burns. The dots are actually nickle rivits used as decoration in a nickle base. The piece measures just a bit over 1 3/4 inches tall.
I hand cut all the pieces with blades ranging from 4/0 to 8/0. The detail work is done with a home made chasing tool (tech screwdriver with the cap cut off and tip refiled by hand). the edges are filed with needlefiles and 600 wet/dry sandpaper, and run by a buffing wheel.
Needless to say I'm excited about getting some precision tools in the shop, learning all sorts of new tips and tricks to help refine my pieces.

John C.

Attachments

• LOJ1.jpg
    LOJ1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 46
  • LOJ2.jpg
    LOJ2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 44
  • M7jewel.jpg
    M7jewel.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 45
  • RB jewel 01.jpg
    RB jewel 01.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 47

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
excellent & interesting work. welcome to the house of art. you are headed in a very good direction already, esp the meeks book. it gives you a "peek" at all you will need to learn. the chinese white: well, mix it half & half with tabasco , and it's good on eggs in the morning ! china white can prove to be a real let down, depending on your expectations.

Latest posts

Sponsors