Engraved Buckle & Cowboy True

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Well I made this buckle around July of last year and the hope was that the book would be in print and ready for sale during the 2008 Christmas season. Well they had some problems and it didn't work out but it is now in print and is poised for distribution when the 2009 Christmas season comes around. There were a few of you who were interested in any information as to when the book "Cowboy True's Christmas Adventure" would be available and where to pick one up. Here is the link.

http://cowboytrue.com/book.htm

The rocking R buckle belongs to Cowboy True.

Here is the picture for those of you who didn't see the Buckle the first time around.

Greg Pauline

Last edited:

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Greg,
I'm so glad to see this picture again. I have seen a lot of western buckles in my lifetime but very few as cool as this one. I absolutely love the engraving layout. My friend Wilson Capron talks about striving for simple elegance in his work. You are one of the masters at attaining it. Thanks for sharing with us. Your work always inspires me.

Stewart

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I really like your western engraving. Beautiful stuff with really nice control. Your liner work is excellent. :beerchug:

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Greg,

Great looking buckle. I have a question though.

The backbone of your scrolls look very unique. Is that a wriggle cut, or some other method?

John S.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Greg,

Your bright cutting is always an inspiration to view! Thank you for posting once more.

I like the way your scroll design does that 'loop the loop'. Unusual, and it works for me.

May I ask for some advice.... I notice with masters of the bright cut, you can achieve quite long steps in your wriggle cuts even when the flat tool is very narrow. I know that in principle if I lower the angle of my narrow flat graver, I should be able to length the pitch of my wriggle, but I always seem to get a tighter pitch wriggle than I want. It is like my narrow wriggle progresses in baby steps, and yours are more like moving in seven league boots. Any ideas for me to get a longer pitch?

best

Rod

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the kind comments...and I hope you all are taking a look at the link to Cowboy True's Christmas Adventures.

Rod~ I have never taken accurate measurements of the angles on my gravers. I will shoot a pm to you when I know for certain. I can change the look of my wriggling also by combining three techniques. Varying downward force combined with the degree to which I rock my graver and wrist along with the rate of speed that I turn my engraving block. All three of these techniques used in various combination will determine the type of wriggle cut that will be achieved. I am hopefully going to be camping and abalone hunting in mid June near the Navarro river, perhaps I can come visit you and we can talk shop. You're still in Mendocino, right?

Greg

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Greg,

Thanks for these wriggle tips and I am noticing in my own practice something similar to what you describe with the variables!

Here are a few pics of some purely practice copper plates, I sometimes make them into little boxes for my workbench. My friend, Arnie, kindly let me work in his style of a fine bright-cut photo he sent me, to practice interlacing scrolls. That man is good, and I have a long way to go to get to the level that you and he achieve, yet it sure is fun to try!

Weather is good today on the Coast and as you know I am only minutes from the Navarro. Camping is fun, and you and yours are also welcome to stay over at my studio which is a house and has an apartment for kindred spirits. I will stay in touch!

best

Rod

Attachments

• DSC07092.jpg
    DSC07092.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC07084.jpg
    DSC07084.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: