Question: C-Max gravers

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I finally got one of the new C-Max gravers the other day along with some Glensteel gravers. I was a bit surprised to find the C-Max graver to be just over 1/2 inch shorter than the Glensteel ones. Also the end of the C-Max as rounded instead of square.

My question is.... Every who has got one of the C-Max gravers, was it shorter than normal gravers, and was it rounded on the end. The rounding sticks out of the quick change tool about 1/4 inch.

I am just wondering if I got the butt end of the steel rod, or if this is normal.

Thanks
Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mike: It's normal. Glensteel gravers are too long anyway and must be broken to size. C-Max is closer to the size needed without having to break them. / ~Sam

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
yep most carbide gravers are the perfect size whereas most steel ones are made to 2.5" no idea why.

Sam what is so different about these new c-max carbides. In Chris's little video he puts great importance on the for getting these darker lines for wider gravers.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
I always complained about the Glensteel gravers being too long. I suggested either making them short enough to use without having to break them or long enough to make two out of! C-Max is a much better length.

I'm not sure what the C-Max difference is, Tim. I know there are many carbides out there and that this one hits the sweet spot for many engravers, including me.

As for a black line, I think that is mainly determined by the geometry of the graver and less by the material its made of. However, as we know, carbide retains a polish better than steel, so if the geometry and polish are right, you'll be able to keep nice, black lines longer than with other graver materials. In other words, you can get the same black line with a HSS graver, but it won't stay that way for long as it loses its polish much faster than carbide, and the resulting line will become less black.

Maybe Chris can comment on this if he reads this thread.

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hey, don't cut us push-graver guys too short. 2.5'' is almost too short to put into a wood handle. I use 1/8'' HSS blanks from a machinist supply since the cost is almost half as much for a "lathe tool" than it is if you purchase the same thing as a "graver".

I really want to try this new stuff though, but I'll probably wait until I get a new graver-mach to put it in. Soon...VERY soon...Oh yes... it WILL be mine...Mwaahahahaha!!

Sam

Staff member
Ron: GRS also makes extended QC holders for short gravers. Pretty handy. :thumbs up:

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Sam, I'll check it out. I'm going up to Emporia shortly after Scott's shindig. He's going to have some different systems set up I want to try out before I commit to the gravermach. All the gun engravers posting their work on this site has really inspired me to try my hand at it but I think it will be a lot easier with a jackhammer than with my little push-gravers.

I did a stainless steel revolver many years ago with simple high-carbon steel push gravers and spent 80% of my time sharpening gravers the old-fashioned way. This was back in the dark ages before I knew about diamond hones and high speed steel... ARGGGHH!!

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
I'm working with an engraver for Creative Art in Italy and one of the sharpened gravers he sent was 3 1/8"!
I have never seen gravers that long.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Has this Italian engraver got Orangutang hands Tim?!?! LOL. Seriously though, if he's hand pushing with a mushroom handle the graver could be that long. Copper plate engravers use long gravers and mushroom handles.

Latest posts

Sponsors