Optivisors, loups etc.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There used to be some loups you could buy that were perfect and not too expensive, but I have not seen any of them in years, but I have not really been looking.

I had a pair for years that I don't even remember where i got them. Here is the trick for those that have trouble with optivisors. I had some lenses especially made to go in these frames that were mounted on a pair of eye glasses rims. there was an extension jutting out from the nose pieces of the glasses about 2 1/2 inches long.

They had a wheel between the lenses that would allow you to turn the wheel and the lenses would seperate or get further apart, or get closer together according to the direction you turn the wheel. this would allow you to be able to adjust for the distance between your eyes and your face dimensions.

Now, I am just industrious enough that I could make a pair of these if I so choosed, and I bet you guys could too. Of course you need two opposing threads on the wheel axel to make this work.

I used them with ten power lenses until they finally broke, but the setting was engrained in my mind, so I made a pair with the right seperation for me without the adjustment wheel. I still have them. They are lite, they don't interfere with your periferal vision, and you can look over them to find things on your bench.

If you have perscription glasses, you could make them where they were removable or attachable to your glasses. the only thing with this is, you have a double lense that sometimes might distort reality, depending on the power of the lenses.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I thought I would throw it in to let you know that you are not limited to what is out there if you have the time to create and fabricate.

But then I made a lot of my gizmos back then, and once you have them, you have them. That was the only way you could get them, so fixtures for holding things etc. were often the geniuosy (sp) of the engraver.

Ron S

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
great info ron!! beware folks. i bought a fancy set of the "long range surgical loupes". the optical clarity is great. focal length of about 17 "- great also, but the weight on the bridge of my nose, a double bugger ! these are definetly not for more than maybe 30 minutes at a time.

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
monk you should have gotten the ones on a headband. My Zeiss loupes on a headband I dont notice the weight at all.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My father used to wear 2 pairs of magnifying specs and looked like something out of a Dickensian novel. Before the scope, I used to use an Optivisor and Zeiss loupe and could get the kind of magnification you're talking about Ron, without the need for the little wheel as it was done by hand.

I can't sing the praises of Zeiss loupes enough. If you need a loupe (and every engraver should have one) this is the one to get as it's quite large in diameter. A lot of loupes are only useful when you hold them to the eye as a jeweller does. The Zeiss can do it's job at arms length if need be. The only problem with the Optivisor/loupe is that it doesn't encourage good posture.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Hi folks,

My apologies, I don't mean to interrupt.
When you guys mention Loupes, what do you actually mean?
Are you referring to a hand-held, a stand alone monocular type eye-piece, or an eye-piece which screws onto a Optivisor.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I searched 'Loupes' and all kinds of things appeared.

Many thanks,

Jo

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus, Are you talking the simple jewelers loupe by zeiss? Is theirs bigger than most of these little 10x loupes all the Italians are looking through to do their high detailed bulino? I have worked with a pair of Zeiss surgical loupes for the past 25 years and love them dearly. I have the head band setup and a the time I bought the most powerful they had at the time 4.5x with working distance of 10 inches from end of loupes to the work surface. I had heard they now have 6x and 8x powered ones and would love to try them out.

Zeiss used to have a 30 day trial period that they would send you 2 sets of loupes, each a different magnification but every where in Zeiss. com I cant even find any headband loupes over 5x. I would love to try the 6x and 8x loupes. As I said they would send you the 2 sets of magnifications you requestesd and they would send them to you for 30 days to try them out really good. after the 30 days were up you sent back the set or products you didnt want and along with a check, bank check, etc for what you kept. I cant find anything out about this trial period either and would seriously love th try the 6x and 8x loupes. I will probably just find the closest Zeiss rep and find out if they shill have this great trial period. As I am getting into more and more of the Italian style bulino and do need more magnification that my 4.5, these beauties still work beautifully for my regular fine line engraving, scrolls, gold inlays, deep relief and all else.

Marcus could you link me to the Zeiss loupes you are referring to please?. Thank you so much and keep showing us that gorgeous English scroll you do so beautifully.

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim, I have the 4.5x Zeiss surgical loupes as well. They work well for me. I think my working distance is 14", but it may be 16". I can sit straight up to work with them. When the Zeiss guy came to see me he had he 6x and 8x, but the field of vision was about the size of a dime. The loupes moved every time my heart beat they were so sensitive. I have a little of that with the 4.5x, but it is not so sensitive.

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Wow the Zeiss guy came to see you? How did you arrange that? I would love to have a Zeiss guy come visit me.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Tim- As a former industrial sales guy I'm sure the Zeiss guy wouldn't hesitate to visit you if he sniffed a good possibility of an order. The Zeiss guy visited me also to check out the application. They're used to working with dentists and doctors, so engravers are a curiousity. He was impressed enough to allow me to buy one.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Additional comments:

I never had back problems or neck problems, only nerve problems from the long hours of being in "the zone". Very exausting, but I also worked at a tilt, which has to do with chair height, bench height etc. so I didn't bend over much, except when I used the 10 power. My regular loups optivisor was a #10 for general work. The more powerful the lenses, the more problems you might have due to the eye relief and distance between your eyes. I am not sure, but a lot of the tension might be due to the nerves, not the lenses, but that might just be me. After a long day I would find myself going and sitting in a comfortable chair and gasping for air for about thirty minutes letting off steam like I hadn't been breathing all day. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

That might be one of the best differences in using the air tools verses the palm tool without power, and also working on a magnitude of different articles, sizes, and shapes. The stress level is definately grosly different. Count your blessings guys. We have come a long way.

Just some thoughts.

Ron S

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim, this is the model I have:
www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-optics-3x-6x-aplanatic-achromatic-pocket-magnifier-d36.html

The lens' are about an inch in diameter. When combined with an Optivisor you get as much magnification as a scope. The downside of course is posture and holding it in the hand but when you get used to it it works well. The downside,I found, with an Optivisor is that I hated that band around my head especially on hot days. But it doesn't seem to bother some folks.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, there is a choice in loupes. There is one that's held like a monocle, so you don't use your hand to hold it.
Kevin P.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I have no idea if this piece is useful for engraving: e.g. magnification 5x, working distance 235 mm, visual field 36 mm, but it isn't cheap :shock: $ 1.870!

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario,
Maybe they wuld give you a trial period, as it is hard to say without using them for a while. Weight is a factor and you wouldn't want them resting on your nose for hours. I don't know about the head band for long extended periods, but it would seem better. I also would think you would want to test the magnification to see what is best for you. at that price, you wouldn't want to buy them and then have to put them in a drawer.

Ron S

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe they wuld give you a trial period, as it is hard to say without using them for a while. ...
Oh no, i don't want it - Ron, that is much to much. I thought, maybe it's a choice for you who are working at the highest level. I read your words about breathe...
Perhaps one of you already have it in use?
For me i found one of the inexpensive on the market - it is light and it works good for me.
Mario

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I checked on the idea James mentioned. My local discount eyeglass place can make me a pair of 5x magnifiers with my prescription added in for just over $200. They'll look like somewhat strong eyeglasses (since that's what they'll be) and should be pretty comfortable.

I've got some other uses for the money right now but later in the summer I'll probably get myself some.

Some of you looking for alternatives to OptiVisors might want to check on this in your area.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Don't know if this will help anyone ... I was playing around with the optivisor a few years ago and came up with this ...

I put 2 #5 lenses back to back because the working distance of the #10 was terrible. In this configuration, 2 fives don't really add up to a single #10 however the magnification is significantly better than a single #5 without losing as much working distance.

Photo attached to see how I did it. The spacers are just the extra spacers that come with an optivisor which provide clearance for those that wear prescription glasses. Talk about cheap ... this is it.

Attachments

• 2lense_optivisor.jpg
    2lense_optivisor.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 93

rfattig

Chis- this is interesting..
Do you have an idea what the working distance was?

Latest posts

Sponsors