Optivisors, loups etc.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anyone use these 'Dental Loupes' that you can see advertised on Ebay? I'm talking the Galilaen ones, not the prismatic variety. There were Russian ones recently advertised but now they all seem to be Chinese. The reason I ask is I tried the Zeiss headset once but I don't care for the constriction around my head. So the ones that look like they're mounted on eye glass frames look ideal. Like Chris, there is stuff I do (like working on shotgun/rifle barrels) which is difficult to do under the scope and these Dental Loupes look like they may be the answer for occasional use.

Paul Chung

I got a pair of dental loupes about 3 months ago. I didn't know if they would be any good or not when I bought them from ebay so it was a bit of a gamble. I did think it was a waste of money when I 1st tried them but I have got used to them now and they are definately handy for doing certain jobs. Another tool for the job i'd say but I would suggest to get up to 4.5X only as I have a 6X and it "wobbles" a bit if you don't keep very still when using them. You definately can't talk and use them at the same time!!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Marcus and Paul,
Over the years I have used them, don't have any at the moment though.
Head wobble is a problem. The ones I had were Lietz brand, Japanese made, great optics.
What I did was to make a clamp-on-to-the-bench head rest.
That really helped me. You might rig something up and give it a try.
Best.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

I tried a pair but found that I moved around way too much when working with the hammer and chisel...way too much wobble; enough to make me sick...or maybe it was looking at my work that made me sick, who knows, Ha, ha???
Anyway. I sold them to a fellow in Canada & shipped them during the holiday season one year. He never received them so I ended up refunding his money. Bummer!! I will make sure that doesn't happen again.

Good luck,

Weldon

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
The "Schneider Triplet" looks good - how much does it weight? I ask, because i have the "Weinschenk" in use over ten years. This is superb for graduate diamonds, but it has it's 50 Grammes!

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
loupes

it is very light.has a 21 or 22mm lens,octogon housing in a bead blast finish.that is the original,they have a new black one now.dont know about this one,is more expensive,maybe better,maybe just different housing.its on the same page.clear edge to edge,distortion free! God Bless,mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors