Eldon Peterson Folder

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently completed this Titanium Folder:

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thats just incredable. It stands alone with that style, like the cigar cutter. Thank you for showing, Seth

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful job Barry.
Is that a recent knife by Eldon? I kind of thought he had retired from knifemaking.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW Exquisite goldwork Barry. It is VERY similar in style to the cigar cutter.

Pleasure seeing it and thanks for posting it.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys, and Andrew, I can't sneak nuthin past you!
Yes, it is the piece from Reno, however it was not quite finished at that time.
It is done in the same manner of technique as the cigar cutter, except it is different in style, in that the leaves are shaped differently.
Andy S., it is a Peterson that I ordered and recieved about 12 years ago.
You are correct Eldon is retired.
Thank you John B., :)

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it looks to me , you have established a rather beautiful "brushstroke" here. one, quite unlike anyone else. just great to look at !

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Ron, and Marcus and monk.
Marcus, most of the shaping is done with gravers and burnishing, almost nothing with punches, except the roundness from punching the gold in.
I found this by listening to your Fathers' instruction of: " I have given you a few hints, now go home and figure it out for yourself"
Thank you for your and your Fathers' generosity in sharing when I visited you.
I could not have come up with this style without your help.
Churchill critiqued this while it was a drawing in my shop when he came by while Joe Cera was here. He was a little concerned that there was no point of origin, did you notice that?
But I thought of the Hunt Doctrine of " Implied points of Origin " and figured it would fly.

Last edited:

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Barry ,
It's a merveille , your design is so tasteful...

Thanks for doing so beautiful engravings

Jean

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wow, that's a beauty!! I really like the gold-and-grey look you're getting. Super job, Barry.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry,

As always, exquisite work and very stimulating. I (along with numerous others I'm sure) always enjoy the opportunity to study your work!
Also, I believe there is a lot to be said for the "less is more" school of thought!

WL

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry,

Point of origin is almost always a consideration and usually strictly adhered to, but there are times when you can break the rules and still pull it off. I think any other scroll style wouldn't have worked, but in this case it flies because of the leaf design and placement.

You can break the rules sometimes as long as you don,t interfere with the grace and movement of the work. I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it, so you pulled it off very well, and it doesn't disturb any of my sensitivities. Therefore you get only compliments from me.

It moves the eye forward and that is in keeping with the whole design. People usually witness design from a periferal view point rather than tunnel focus. Balance, and all of the things that make a good composition are all here. Some rules can be broken and some can't and I have used the idea "implied origins" many times.

Ron S

Latest posts

Sponsors