Graver steel preparation

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Ngraver liners come in three widths. Narrow, Standard and Wide. They also use to have extra wide but I believe they dropped that size.
If you want a very narrow one for letter shading or background removal it is easy to take one in the line spacing required and reduce the width on the lap or grinder.
If this is done on the grinder be sure to hold it in wet paper and keep it cool.
If you get it hot you will have to re-heat treat it.
Any time I reharden a graver or liner I heat, quench, polish, temper, quench, polish,
retemper and repolish. In other words.... double retemper. Works for me.

Baygraver

Ngraver liners come in three widths. Narrow, Standard and Wide. They also use to have extra wide but I believe they dropped that size.
If you want a very narrow one for letter shading or background removal it is easy to take one in the line spacing required and reduce the width on the lap or grinder.
If this is done on the grinder be sure to hold it in wet paper and keep it cool.
If you get it hot you will have to re-heat treat it.
Any time I reharden a graver or liner I heat, quench, polish, temper, quench, polish,
retemper and repolish. In other words.... double retemper. Works for me.

John, There's that point about multiple tempers again. Sounds like there's something to it and might save me some broken teeth and slips on wriggle cuts with liners.

Thanks so much guys. This has been a gold mine of great advice.

Regards, Jim

Sponsors