A Tribute to Sam's Tutorials

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that I've learned how to post photos, I'm going to be a pest!

Here is my first engraved gold ring. I engraved my first ring, (with a monogram for my son-in-law on a sterling silver one last December), but this is for me! And before you ask, YES the gold came from some of my patients' teeth! I no longer have the ability to cast my own gold, so I had a friend cast it from a commercial wax pattern that I modified.

Sam's tutorial on how to draw leaf script came at the exact moment I was trying to decide what type of monogram to engrave on the face of the ring. I took all his suggestions and stole some of the elements that I really liked and tried to combine them into my own design. That took me far longer than I had anticipated, but I learned a lot. Then, not long after came the tutorials on "running wheat borders" and the "crossed-ribbon". These were exactly what I needed to design the sides. I took several liberties with the ribbon and wheat, changing the leaves etc., but the concept is based on the time-honored designs.

I have a larger gold ring casting that I'm still obsessing about. I've drawn at least 30 different designs for the face and sides and have cut over 20 of these experiments into practice plates. And, I still can't find the exact combination of elements! This is why this will always be a hobby for me, 'cause I'd starve to death if I had to make a living doing engraving, just too darned slow. I spend at least three times the amount of time at my drawing table, as at the bench actually cutting.

As usual, your comments and suggestions are eagerly awaited.

Mark

Attachments

• small gold ring face.jpg
    small gold ring face.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 509
  • small gold ring side.jpg
    small gold ring side.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc
Real nice, I like the way you modifyed the wheat on the sides. Too bad your paiaaaa have to eat mush now:eek:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a handsome ring, Mark. Nice job! Thanks for posting the photos of it, and feel free to post as often as you like now that you know how. Cheers / ~Sam

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think you did a fine job there. esp. taking liberties with your designing. that's what it's all about, anyway. i don't want to sound like a nit, but i think you may have put the ring a bit too much to the muslin wheel. the engraving, i think, would look even better, if it was a bit more sharp. a very clean lookin ring, to say the least .and you know, my last name starts with an "s". hmmmmmmm. you want my mailing address ??

Sponsors