+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rem 870 Project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rem 870 Project

Hello everybody, this is what I've been working on in between cold weather and the flu. I had it blued
    yesterday hope it come's out right.

Tony Medlin

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    --- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is really cool. Dumb question, how did you get the gun white like that? Paint, China White? That's a whole lotta area to cover. Thanks for showing, Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Seth, the white is just flat white spray paint. You can draw and erase for days on it. To remove it
    use Acetone, the full strength not the finger nail kind.
    Tony Medlin

Post Thanks / Like

COOL WIP pics Tony.

Thanks for posting them. I hope to see it after bluing and polishing.
    Peter E.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work that will sure will be a nice 870.
    Black Mountain Bits and Spurs, & Big Game Hounds

Post Thanks / Like

I Like that. How was the 870 to cut?
    Thanks,
    Darcy

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Darcy, thanks for the compliment. I used hammer and chisel and had a little rough cuts in certain
    areas. I think it might have been because I had a lot of vibration when I was cutting or the tool was
    getting dull. But it was ok pretty much.
    Tony Medlin

Post Thanks / Like

Tony thanks for sharing, nice to see the different steps.
    I understand engraving is also new for you as it is for me.
    Never tried hammer and chisel, perhaps it is harder than using the power tools.

If I may say so, your design looks quite big, perhaps it is to avoid the little details, but I think cutting the leavers so big, looks like small leaves with magnification, so perhaps cutting smaller leaves and scrolls could have looked better as than you don' need much shadow lines and one see the mistakes less as it is smaller.

Did you first tried it on a practice plate?

arnaud

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tony. Those 870's are a pretty big canvas and quite affordable too. I may have to pick one up to try. From what I have heard the sides can be a bit springy to cut without some sort of support inside the action. That may have been why you found it a bit rough in certain areas. You certainly made for a fine looking 870 though with that design.......and not a clone of anyone elses work either:thumbs up:. Hope to see the pics of it blued soon.
    Darcy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Tony, thanks for posting this; you certainly took on a huge canvas! The good points are that you got the growth of the scrolls correct.

Hammer and chisel work is not easy and takes many hours of practice to get it to look right. For inspiration from this type of work look at pictures of guns from continental Europe, especially Belgium. Your vise needs to be heavy too, especially for something this size. If it isn't you'll constantly be fighting the vise's will to tip over as you strike the chisel and it's not easy with both hands full to control the vise as well. With H&C it's well worth experimenting with standing up and 'walking around' your vise. This will help prevent all the elbows in your scrolls.

Arnaud is correct in pointing out that the scrolls are too large for the design. The larger the scroll the more difficult it is to fill it with shading. The problem with such a big 'canvas' is how to fill it. The novice's approach is often big action = big scrolls. Wrong! Big action = more scrolls, not larger ones. This means your designing needs to be spot on. Again, back to the drawing board and get that pencil and paper out. Do study other people's scroll and read Ron's book on scroll design thoroughly until you understand it.

Sorry to be picky but I think you need some tips.
    cheers,
    Marcus

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

www.hunt-engraving.co.uk

www.kindlerthorpe.com