Sil-Air Compressor oil question

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently had a conversation with a fellow that is an AMSoil distributer. We were on the topic of synthetic oils (mostly for gas engines) but he also touted AMSoil compressor oil.

I mentioned that I have a Silent Aire compressor and he claimed the AMSoil compressor oil is as good as any other specific oil made for compressors.

I did not buy it, as I had no way of knowing if his claim was valid, and I was not about to risk putting the wrong oil in my compressor.

Anyone have opinions on this?

soj

Peter, I also talked to an AMSoil rep here and he told me the same thing. I have not tried it, as I had some oil left that came with my Sil Air, but I think I will try it next time since it's handy and I wouldn't have to order it.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter
Request a MSDS sheet from Silair on the oil , they have to provide this by federal law. I did this about 5 years ago and got 5 gallons of syntrhtic oil for &110.00 delivered to the house. Better than $32 for a quart :party:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Dave: This is interesting news for those of us who have been paying such high amounts for Sil-Air oil. Did your comparison of MSDS sheets show any differences between the two products?

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,
If you are willing to elaborate, I would be interested to know what oil you use. I have had several people whose opinion I value, say that AMSoil are quality products. Their oil for compressors runs about $10 per quart.

I suspect as you found out, that there are suitable alternatives for reasonable prices.

A few years back, I was at Americade, and attended a seminar on oils for motorcycles.
Extensive laboratory testing was done and it dispelled much of the hype about motorcycle specific oil.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amsoil dealers are salesmen and they will naturally puff up their product just like any good salesman would so buyer beware and do your research.

Having said that, I drive a 1999 F-250 "Powerstroke" diesel and changing oil every 3-4000 miles is bad maintenance since the thing holds nearly 4 gallons and you can imagine what that costs per year.

I wanted to get more use out of the oil than that and did my research and switched to Amsoil synthetic and run that thing for 14,000 miles between oil changes but change the filter every 7000 miles. I do a periodic oil sample and it has always come back good and still useable.

Synthetic oils are far more efficient than their dinosaur fossil counterparts, they last longer, they're slicker and therefore lubricate better. I use Mobil 1 in all my gas engines as well as my milling machine and lathe.

I have since switched to Mobile 1 for my diesel once they started making a fully synthetic oil formulated for diesel engines and I can just go by Wally World and pick up 4 gallons for the same price or cheaper than I can Amsoil which has to be ordered.

Amsoil makes good stuff and it's proven with a lot of documentation. There are forums on this subject; but for a Sil Aire compressor motor you need to pay attention to what the oil you are considering is formulated for. If the useage chart lines up you should be fine.

Compressor motors are not quite as particular about oils as a diesel engine that has to be formulated specifically for that use. Some oils have more detergents and parafins in them than others so just be sure that the Amsoil or Royal Purple, or whatever brand is made for what you're using it on. In the end, salesmen are salesmen but Amsoil has a lot to back up their claims and a lot of satisfied customers. There now, that's all I know about that.

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok Peter
Here is the info off the container SX32 is the oil type, Can be obtained from PSI( Parts Service International) www.psiparts.com. They are in Westsfield ,Mass 1-800-628-9034. Don't know the current price but the oil is still listed on the web site. This is the same oil type /grade and weight listed on the MSDS from Silair Dave:thumbs up:

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Dave, i'll check it out.

I suspect, that what needs to be avoided is additives, such as detergents that could potentially cause problems.

The Sil=Aire oil is also synthetic but it does not list the formulation or additives on the container.

I also have switched to Mobil I for most of my gas engines.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I have a couple of questions for you engineering savvy folks.
My compressor is a Sil-Air model #50/15A , 5 gallon tank with a condensate drain at the top.

1) Do you actually change the oil by physically draining it?

2) Or do you just rely on the little fresh oil top-ups to replace the small amount that is lost with the condensate that is drained after the unit is switched off?

3) If you do drain the oil do you have a better way than removing the air inlet filter and inverting the compressor that is advised by the factory?

4) Have you found a suitable oil at better price that is compatible with the machine and also may be added to factory supplied oil already in use?

Thanks for your input and advice.
John B.

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John
It is a pain but I drain the oil about once a year( since I am a hobby engraver) dont remember the recomended oil change interval, I just keep a eye on the color in the sight bubble, Yes you have to turn it upside down. The oil I mentioned above matches the MSDS I got from Silair, Although I have a Valair 50/24 AL if I remember right.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Dave.
Like you, I can't find any mention of required oil drainage periods.
Just that they are required to be drained for shipping.
And again, like you my oil stays clear and clean in the sight bubble.
A very small amount of oil is removed with the condensation when I drain the tank.
These things are basically a refer compressor I believe.
My refer has been running for the last 12 years without an oil change.
Could these things be the same do you think.?
Thanks for the info of where to buy the oil.

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John
Yes same type of compressor as is used in your fridge Sp?. The difference is that is a closed system, pumping freon around. When you compress air you get dirt.dust,grit , moisture from the atmosphere.So oil change like in your cars is cheap insurance to keep it running smooth:thumbs up:
You are welcome

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did contact SPI, and the SX32 that you mentioned Dave, is $200.25 for 5 gallons which is the least you can purchase.

That works out to about the same as the AMSoil compressor oil.

Peter

Latest posts

Sponsors