engravers@the US Mint

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
video

thank you very much for sharing this. a couple of weeks ago i saw a post for a job opening at the mint for a job in this area.

cad, jewelry making and engraving are the main parts of my business.

it helped to see and hear how they do it. maybe later i will apply for a job there, but for now i am still having to much fun running my own hand made jewelry business.

thank you again

Matthew

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for posting this. I have been aware this technology was being developed for at least ten years that I know of, but hadn't heard it has been adapted in the Mint until now. Of course, hand engraving has slowly been disappearing from die work since the introduction of the Janvier reduction lathe in 1836. To my knowledge, Chief Engraver Gilroy Roberts (designer of the Kennedy Half Dollar) was the last true hand engraver to have been employed at the Mint although he also sculpted models mostly. Ed Steevers did some hand punch-work for mint marks, but I don't think a hand has touched a working die since they started incorporating mint marks in the master dies. The result is perfect consistency which is what the mints have been striving for since day one. There is no variation at all from die to die.

I understand the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is also moving in this direction. Engravers who have been there 20 years and more learning and executing picture engraving are having to re-learn everything using this new technology. There seems to be a reluctance on the part of the artists which I can understand.

There's no fighting progress, and hopefully these advancements in technology will lead to advancements in the art just as the air-powered engraving systems and stereo microscopes have advanced other forms of hand engraving.

I've seen this coming for a long time, and have devoted much of my life trying to build a living history museum dedicated to preserving the numismatic arts in it's original forms with a special focus on the engraving arts in it's many forms. We had a very difficult time with funding and admittedly, I lost my passion for the project, but I still believe an art that has played such a huge role in the development of civilization deserves to be preserved with a museum devoted to the subject.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
as a child, i collected stamps. why ? the beauty inherent in each and every one ! i quit collecting when "the change came". the stamps done the old way, were each a work of art in its' own right. what can be said of the trash sold at the post office these days ?

Sponsors