Critique or comments

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
Hey,Guys and Gals*I am posting a few pics of my latest project and hoping to get your input. It will be a tribute to freinds Dad who has passed.The center section will have his name and dates so that is the reason for the blank spaceDont hold back as your inpute is welcome.Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_8793.JPG
    IMG_8793.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_8777.JPG
    IMG_8777.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_8800.JPG
    IMG_8800.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_8785.JPG
    IMG_8785.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_8795.JPG
    IMG_8795.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 233

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dennis

Very nice engraving, I like the scroll work and the shading on it and the leaves. The one thing I see in the animals; they might a little larger or reduce the open space around with more scrolling.

Jim

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I see a lot of symbolism in the piece. He was apparently an avid rabbit hunter and a practicing Christian. Your work will speak well of him.

Bill

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dennis, that looks great. Well done.

The only thing I would ask is, why do you not shade the heads and tendrils of the scrolls? Everything else looks excellent and you've obviously taken a lot of time over the shading and, to my eye, when I see heads of scrolls unshaded it looks unfinished. It only takes seconds to put one or maybe two shading lines in a head and the scroll is complete. Again, to my eye, the contrast between all the fine shading of the leaves and an unshaded head is just too great. But that's just my take on it (and the way I was taught) others may have differing opinions.

Well done though, you're friend should love this momento of his father.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dennis, this looks great to me. Nice shading lines but I have to agree with Marcus about the unshaded scroll heads.

Something else that I would have done different is the scene of the dog and rabbit.
I would have tried to design the leaves that surround both the dog and rabbit in a way that is was more in harmony with the contour of the dog and rabbit. That way the scenes could look more integrated with the rest of the design.
Now it looks a bit like the dog sniffles one of the leaves.

This is just the point of view of a novice, so if I’m wrong please tell me, as only than I also can learn something about this.

Thank for showing and asking comments

arnaud

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dennis,

That is an excellent job!! I do believe that Marcus is correct. Those unshaded tendrils caught my eye immediately too. Just a few llines would finish these tendrils out.

I also agree that your subjects need to have more prominance, but they are also well done. It is a beautiful piece and I like your skip a space application of the scrolls.

Very attractive!!! Bravo!!

Ron S

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Guys and Gals
This is what I was Hoping to get.The comments will help with my ego and the critique's will help me to develope my engraving.

Bill, I cherish things that bring back good memories.

Marcus, I don't have a reason not to shade the heads other than trying to be different.I will go back and study the way others treat these area's and try develop something I can use. Thanks for passing the the lesson on.I don't know all the rules, so I appreciate your help

Arnaud, you and Jim have pointed out the areas around the animal's My thoughts were to make them stand out as much as I could, after looking at the finished peice I would agree that it is out of balance and I should have given more attention to the positive /negative spacing.

Darcy,the knife cut pretty well,I used a 90 with 55 degree face and 17.and a half degree heel
Thanks ,again to all
Dennis

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Just one thing Dennis, I could see my name in that big blank space (last picture)

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The powder horn with the shotgun is kind of an anomaly. Unless it has a special significance they don't go together.

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
James ,Thanks .Seeing your work progress helps inspire me to grow in my own work.
Charlie, Thanks
DKanger, The powder horn is not realy a powder horn.It is a cow horn used by rabbit hunters to call the dogs.They would cut the end and carve a mouth peice something like a bugle then clean out the inside of the horn tie a strap on to it and wear it slung across there chest.Looking at the picture I can see how it looks like a powder horn.Thanks for the comment.
Dennis

Latest posts

Sponsors