first attemped

jcsilver

Hello, I have a customer that is wanting a headstall using the relieve cut. I've been drawing stuff on this since I've been viewing stuff on this site. I cut the one on top first ( learned alot doing that ). Cut the one under it a couple days later and after it was finished I cut the scroll under it. This is my first attemped at the relieve cut. I now know why you use microscope. Please let me were and how to improve. Thanks Joe

Attachments

• DSCN2691.jpg
    DSCN2691.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 251

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Joe,
You are far more advanced than I am so I can't offer any advice. All I can say is this looks great to me. Nice detail and just pleasing to look at. Well done.

Stewart

Last edited:

D.Ellis

That looks great. I particularly like the top scroll with the scroll heads ending in a point rather than the usual round knob thingy(technical term)
Thanks for posting.
Darcy:)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
first i think it looks very nice. now, please humor my ignorance; what is a headstall ?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe that looks pretty good.
About the design if I may say so, and I'm also new and only made my first steps on design, the central top leaf could look more balanced if you make it two leaves. The leaf mass is bigger than the other leaves. Changing it could make the design more balanced.
There is a similar leafs that are a bit smaller and could be OK.

Anyway a nice design as far as I can judge it, sure there are other members who can give you better advice so I’m also curious what they can tell to improve this design.

arnaud

soj

Joe that sure looks good to me, and would look very good on a headstall. Bet your customer would lke that look.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good job Joe,

Can't critique it much over what others have said. Just pay attention to detail when you study and all you can do is refine things at this point. Your customer would be very pleased with that.

Your leaf structure is a little square looking and this slows the movement of the scroll. A more pointed leaf will speed up the movement. Balance is achieved by equal leaf masses and background spacing and volume. Where you have a small spiral, you will see some improvement in balance if you continue leaf mass even in these small spirals. To do that make the spiral more brief in it's radius. (don't curl it around so far. Plan your leaf size by these left over spaces that are going to be cramped if you add a spiral there.)

When you come around, drawing the spine line of the spiral, you determine the size of the leaf by the distance between the spine lines as you come around to complete the curling of the spine. Take this into consideration when you draw your spiral.

These are just little refinements. Your work looks good. I can see some places where you need some shading (upper design on the ends or termination of the spiral to create a rounding effect in these parts and break up the mass.

Now the lower design is better in this regard where you have added some things. As long as you leave a highlighted edge on your elements, you can seperate one part from another without them running together or losing them in the shading. Does that make sense?

I like the little practice spiral, underneath the whole design, the way you terminated it and the shading there etc.

I refer to focal points in my book and it looks like you have been studying it by the structures you are using, but back away, squint your eyes, look with your periferal vision, and the masses of objects or elements will become more visible. Is this clear? If you have masses of surface metal that are larger than other masses, you have a focal point or a situation that attracts the eye and disturbes your sense of balance.

Like I said these are just refining factors. The work looks really good so............

Keep studying and paying attention to little details. Your structural foundations are good. They just need tweeking a little.

Ron S

jcsilver

Thanks for the comment. Ron thanks for your help, your comments helped and I do see what you mean by them. It seems the more I cut the more I see. I've been bright cutting stuff for 25 or some years and don't remember when I had to think to much about cutting stuff. It's a refreshing change. Thanks Joe

Sponsors