Question: Face angles for Liners

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've just ordered my first liners from GRS. They are the ones that Diane S. recommends for bright work. The pre-ground face angle seems to be around 35 degrees. Is this what I should sharpen to, or should I go closer to 45 degrees? I also remember reading somewhere that the face is often slightly CURVED (convex). Through what angle of curvature should I rotate the face while sharpening?

Lets hear from all you bright work cowboys/cowgals!

Mark

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As you might already know, the liner tool does not make turns well, so the arced face helps, but it is very gradual. An arc of about a half inch circle should do, but you might have to play with it as the curved liners particularly aren't always a true arc on the bottom where the lines are. You will have little flat spots and if tool turns fairly good on one sharpening, it might not on another.

The face or rake angle can be any where from 45 to 65 degrees depending on the metals you are cutting, and what cuts best on the metal and what is durable enough to not have to sharpen every little bit. The corner teeth of the liner break off more readily than the others.

Everyone will probably have their own formula and anything is just a starting point anyway, requiring some experimentation.

Ron S

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't know the degree of curvature, but as you look downward upon the graver, it is just a gentle curve- not a drastic one.you may want a bit more than you see here, maybe not. lousy pic, but you'll get the idea.

Attachments

• liner.jpg
    liner.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 248
Last edited: