Stag Handled Folder

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Did this for a customer about 3 Months ago....

Marcus, thank you for giving me the guts to post this....I have already learned heaps about what is wrong with this engraving on this and my other work from what I have learned from your other engravers so fire away cus I want to learn more !

Attachments

• Stag Folder.jpg
    Stag Folder.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 250

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew...

Yes, here in the bush we have to single hand things...so this is all my efforts...as I have said before, my main efforts are at the forge, and I love to make folders...engraving is really my weak point....closer shot, I will work on that....get back to you OK ?

Andrew Biggs

I can empathise with the position you're in. I'm further away from the rest of the world than you and Australia is a bit like New Zealand.........a bit of a barren wasteland when it comes to engraving. :)

If you want to improve your engraving there is a couple of things I can suggest that helped me. The first is to buy some castings of engravings. Photos are great but you just can't beat holding a casting of someones work. The only thing better is the real thing.

The second thing I would suggest, and it really is the hardest ...........save your pennies and go to a FEGA & SCI show in Reno............believe me when I say you will want to do nothing but engrave for a month after that show. It completley changes your perception of a few things. A couple of years ago I met one of your fellow contrymen there that had a minature rifle that he engraved. It was beautiful.

Cheers
Andrew

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
This form is the first I have heard of castings, where to you get them Andrew...

I know you are right about going to America to learn, but if I went there I might never get back to my much loved bush...LOL (Been there several times and have two Sons there, so quickly running out of excuses)

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a nice looking knife. Nice damascus and a fine piece of stag. It is tough to see the engraving clearly in that picture but it looks to show nice relief.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At a normal viewing distance that engraving looks pretty good!

If you want us to critique it you'll have to give us the close up view.

You can get castings from the FEGA website - http://www.fega.com

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Ken...

Looking for a close up of that engraving, might have to ask my customer to lend it to me for a shot....off to bush for a bit...fires and rain have brought out the wild flowers...so I feel a "Walkabout" coming on....!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This form is the first I have heard of castings, where to you get them Andrew...

I know you are right about going to America to learn, but if I went there I might never get back to my much loved bush...LOL (Been there several times and have two Sons there, so quickly running out of excuses)

Roger you can order these castings from Fega, here is the link.

http://www.fega.com/prodserv/castsSC.asp?categoryparam=cast

Nice knife and looks well done. A better view would indeed help to see the design.

arnaud

Hot Knobs

Elite Cafe Member
Folder

Roger, that is an intrusting folder, I like it, am a knife maker here in Reno Nevada, I can understand not wanting to leave the bush, way to many people here, keep posting pictures of your work.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice job Roger, I do wish we could see a close up on the engraving. Thanks for sharing.

Dwayne

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Roger, that looks really beautiful. Ditto on the engraving close up. The only thing I would say (for future reference) is that when your scrolls grow from an edge, or anywhere else in fact, make sure the spine of the scroll curves right through from beginning to end. The ones here start a little bit too straight and because it's different from the rest of the scrolls the eye is drawn to these straight lines. Nothing to worry about inherently as I think anyone who owns this knife would be extremely pleased with it, but perhaps something to be considered in the future.

Well done, now you've posted this show us some more!

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Marcus...

A fresh eye is good, and from pros, even better...I see what you mean about that line....I'll pull out a plate and have a go before I set off next week....

Cheers, and again, thanks

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mike...

Called the owner of it, and will visit it and him before I set out to the Flinders Range next week....and I will take a close up of the engraving for a more detailed inspection by you and others...

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hell Roger,

Loving the bush is reason enough not to want to leave. I can understand your delimma.

Like Hot knobs said, way too many people and it is getting hard to get out and away from them. I have to have some solitude every once in a while too. It has always been good for my creativity.

Nice job on the knife, and your customer will love it. Sometimes it is just little subtle things that will make it much better.

Very nice job, however. Bravo!

Ron S

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Ron

Preping for our "Walkabout" ...parts of which are 1000 KM (600Miles) from the nearest city...now that is real thinking territory...the stars alone are worth the trip !

Yes you are right, it is the subtile things that make our work better...and that is the prime reason to be here...your work and others inspire us new chums like nothing else can...worn out the pages of the Meek and Wilson books now for some growing time.

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am always amazed at how much I grow physically, spiritually, and in ability in my silent times.

Rock on Roger!

Latest posts

Sponsors