Question: M. Courant

saint

I just saw some engraving and gold inlay work by M. Courant on a Winchester M-42. I thought the quality was exceptional. I am not very familiar with M. Courant, but I believe the M. is for Michelle. Has anyone else seen work by this engraver? What do you think of the quality of the work.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I have seen quite a bit of his work and it was very good quality.
I believe he was trained in the Liege FN/ Browning factory and was there at the same time as Angelo Bee and Gino Cargnell.

saint

John B.
Thank you for the response. The engraving and inlay work that I saw was very similar to Angelo Bee and Gino Cargnel. The inlays are very similar among the three. I believe they must have learned from each other.

saint

saint

Michel Courant

Rocco,
It is good to know that the "M" stands for Michel. I had been told it was for MIchelle. From my knowledge of French, Michel is a man's name and Michelle is a woman's name (like Michelle Obama).
Do you know if Michel Courant learned his engraving and inlay skills from Angelo Bee while Angelo was in Europe or after he came to the USA?
Is Michel Courant still actively engaged in engraving?

saint

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Rocco,
Thank you for the correction. My memory failed me.
I remembered that Michel and Angelo were somehow involved but missed on the details.

rcargnel

Hi, I am Rudy, son of Gino Cargnel. I would be glad to pass on some information regarding Michel Courant. I spoke to Michel Courant last year, when I was in Belgium visiting family. He mentioned he was still engraving and doing work for Holland and Holland. He currently resides in Paris, France.

I found a web site in french: http://dvally.free.fr/liens.htm with with Michel's contact information.

Michel Courant
27 Bd Henri Barbuse
78800 Houilles
Tel 01 39 13 80 08

I would say my dad had a large influence on Angelo Bee's and Michel Courant's style. He was born with a gift. Graduated top of his class in design from the Belgium Royal Academy of Fine Arts. Gino's father died from black lung working the goal mines in Belgium. As a result, he had to support his family and found a job as an apprentice engraver at the age of 15 learning from the masters's at FN while attending the academy in the evening hours. He quickly rose as a top engraver for FN and was given many of the speciality custom engraving assignments. I really wanted to let you know, that at FN, some of his upper managers or directors who were also engravers would sign their name on my dad's work. :confused: In fact, on his last trip to Belgium, not too long before he passed away, he met and told those people in their face, that he knew what they had done. When we first immigrated to the US in 1978, my father did work with Angelo Bee for a short while. He designed many engraving, hunting scenes, etc for Angelo.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hello Rudy, it's very good to hear from you.
You may remember me, my name is John Barraclough.
We met several times at your house when you were a young man. Also, sadly at your Dad's funeral.
Gino was outstanding as an engraver and artist and I am very sorry to hear that some of his Belgium work was misrepresented as the work of others. That's truely sad.
I always enjoyed visiting with him in the front bedroom he used as a shop and talking with him while he worked his magic with hammer and chisel. His work was perfection.
Your dear mother Marion would often serve us delicious cookies and coffee at break time and we would sit in the dining room or go and sit on the patio to enjoy them in the sun.
I still have and use one of your Dad's hammers that he gave me in trade for some liners I made for him. I treasure it and it reminds me of him everytime I use it.
Gino was a dear friend. A great artist, mentor and teacher. A dear gentleman.
If you have time please PM me and let me know your news.

Best regards.

capece rocco

Elite Cafe Member
hello Rudy
I'm a Belgian engraver and know well the beautifull work of your father ,he work with the best engravers in FN ,Vrancken and other,Jean Diet and I say hello to all your family
R.Capece

WISHBONE999

Michel courant engraving

I have Krieghoff 32 that was done by this man and I must say that his work was exquisite in every way....The border is perfectly straight and the three color gold ducks & geese look so life-like.
Wish this man were still alive as I would try to keep him busy for a long time in the future.
Amazing work !!!

Sponsors