[Admin subject edit] Stolen knives

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All,
My Friend has Just Returned from the New York, and Spain Show, 5 folders Disapeared from his Table!!!!
2 of My Engraved Folders and three of his Damascus (Blued Blades) and Blue Mammoth Ivory Scales. That Is in Spain!!!
So Sorry But No Photo's, How Lucky Can you Get.:nopity:
He Says Never Again will he Visit that Show!! it was 2 weeks ago.

And I thought that this only happens in Good old RSA.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, I'm sorry to hear of that. If you do get pictures of any of the knives post them and we will all keep an eye out. Bummer....

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
How sad that there are those who will stoop to steal what they covet, even if it is another's bread and butter.
I am sorry for your loss, and hope that they show up 'for sale' somewhere, and the guilty are punished.
gailm

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nothing makes me want to strangle someone more than a thief who is too shallow and has no conscience to work for what he gets and steals someone's heart and soul.......Bummer!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
good to hear from you chris. but not from such bad circumstances. i don't think we should hold all our spanish friends as being evil just because of one low-life-thief. just my opinion. sad to say, there are thieves every where.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
I am sorry about that Chris.:(

I would like to comment that when I was participating in a trade show in Madrid with my machine was advised by other expositors about to buy a security cable to tie up my notebook to the table. I was really concerned about that risk all the half day until my wife arrived with the cable not only by the computer itself but the software installed in it and the impossibility of driving the machine without it.
Unfortunately these kind of events are more common that anybody would wish in a so cosmopolitan cities like Madrid and Barcelona and we know that there are bad people all over the World.

In the other hand, the trade show was great and a lot of really nice people was visiting us and we enjoy that days very much! So, we must to put all the things into the balance and I am sure that the result will be always positive.:)

I must to say that I am not feel myself insulted by the Chris post but anyway I want to thank you Monk for your comment.

Best regards, Leonardo.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have worked shows in many countries and things have been stolen in nearly every one of them. They were stealing cell phones and laptops from dealers' tables in Hong Kong. Diamonds were stolen in Basel, Switzerland. I've had tools stolen in Italy and America, and knives have been stolen at American knife shows as well. The problem is not unique to Spain and the same cautions must be used there as in America and everywhere else. While there's nothing wrong with reporting what happened, I don't think it's fair to advise people to stay clear of knife shows in Spain. The problem is everywhere.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is sad to hear Chris, but unfortunately it is a fact of doing business in a public arena. I wouldn't isolate thievery to one country or venue.

Last year I went to Blade for the first time and some dealers had knives stolen there also. If I recall, one was Ed Fowler.

At a small local show I attend dealers have experienced some of the same. One thief stole the cap off the handle of a vintage survival knife!

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
This is really sad thing to happen, Chris. Are there any drawing or images to post of the
stolen items for the members to look out for?

This stuff may surface again in a action or sale. If not now maybe a few years down the
road.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris I'm very sorry for your loss. That must be significant in monetary terms.
As has been said where there are things of value there are thieves everywhere in the world.
This should be a cautionary tale for everyone. I haven't been to a knife show; but I've seen some pictures. What astonished me was how little security was evident.
My profession is jewelry; not the usual. It's all mine: the design, the making of it and the selling. I considered myself an artisan not as someone carrying around things of value. I got hit at a show serious enough to get my attention.

When I do shows everything is in locked cases; no one gets to see more than one thing at a time. There are two of us and we do not allow ourselves to get distracted by anyone, that person demanding our attention, when we taking care of someone else; or a diversionary tactic. I am responsible for my own goods no one else. We have established routines that we follow; they work pretty well.
I've been doing 'art fairs' for years and we meet the nicest people at these venues; but there are always a few others. We, you and I and others, put ourselves into what we make and to have someone steal our work I, well there must be a special place in hell.
Please take precautions. It hurts to have something like that happen. The important lessons are the ones that hurt enough to make us change.
Kevin P.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also just love the ones who can't read a sign."DO NOT TOUCH".
It is amazing how carelessly people handle what have on display at a show and the damage that can be done. Just because we are displaying something does not give one a license to touch especially with dirty hands.

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
I am sorry about that Chris.

It is shameful that such acts occur. Thieves are everywhere. I regret that this has happened in Spain I am Spanish, but I reject the deeply vile and despicable acts.

I would ask my friend Chris sent some photos to my personal mail (monti502@ono.com) is important to have those photos. I move to Spain in many forums and know many collectors. If these pieces are trying to sell in Spain, there is some possibility that they could see or be localized, although I understand that it is quite difficult.

Please send me the photos to my mail.

greeting

Antonio
-----------

Is shameful that occur this type of acts. Thieves there is all over. Lament that this have occurred in Spain, I am a Spaniard, but refusal deeply the despicable or infamous acts.

I would ask friend Chris that sent me some photos to my personal mail (monti502@ono.com) is important to have those photos. I move for enough forums and in Spain I know many collectors. If those pieces try to sell in Spain, there is some possibility that they could be seen or to be located; although I understand that is enough dificil.

Please send me the photos to my mail

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, sorry to hear that, as I understand there are no photos, drawings like Jim says, can help. I think the collectors world is not that big I think.
It is a shame someone steels from an other, steeling work is even worse.

arnaud

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hate it Chris. I had one stolen at a show several years ago but luckily got it back. I hate it when this happens. That's a lot of money gone. Hope it didn't put you friend in too big of a bind.

Dwayne

Sponsors