stippling relieved backgrounds

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
For the blackest dots for backgrounds I have ever seen, I've just been using hardened stippling punches like the mid sized ones GRS sells. On the nice sharp point, set your dual angle sharpener to 30-35 degree lift and sharpen a facet every 90 degrees to make a 4 sided point just like the pyramids. I think you will be amazed at how black these dots are.
Try it and let me know.

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Marion,
I too have been resharpening these small burrs to a needle point for fine undercutting and relief. What I have found though is that the simple round end burrs have only a short piece of carbide and after only a few sharpenings the carbide is gone. So I started buying the pear shaped carbide burrs just to reshape to needle points. The length of the carbide point is much greater than the rounds. I don't even use these as they come. I immediately reshape them. They last much longer and cost the same amount. For my normal relief work I do use the rounds because they come in smaller sizes than the pear shapes though.
Of course this may all differ from one brand to another. I have been buying mine from Lasco Diamond. I am not sure where you get yours.

Marian Sawby

Tim, I agree that this is a great method for a dark background. I learned this sharpening method from someone at GRS and used your sharpening method until recently. I don't like it as much for deep relief engraving because the size of the faceted stippler is so much larger than a .010 bur sharpened.

Marian Sawby

Andy, That pear shaped bur is a good idea. As you indicate, however, the round burs come in smaller sizes which is why I buy them. The carbide round bur I use is .010 or 1/4mm. Because I use them for such a short time, sharpening them and using them for stipplers is just a cost saving measure....a way of reusing a fairly expensive item in another way. I get my burs from Basic Dental Supply, about $140 for 100. What is the size of the pear shaped that you buy? Marian

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
At one time the 1/4 round burrs from Lasco seemed to have a better length of carbide but seemed to cheapen them over time I think. The smallest pear shape is an ISO 8 which is two sizes up from the 1/4 which is an ISO 5. But the length of the carbide is 1.6 mm long on the pear shape which is about three times the length of the 1/4 burrs. Now if you have that many scrap burrs left over it wouldn't pay to buy the ones like I do just for making needle points even if they don't last long. I find that I was going through the needle points faster than the little rounds so I never had enough. I started using brand new 1/4 burrs to make the needle points which didn't make sense.

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
Marian,
Great idea.
If you have any left I will take a few.

Please mail to :

Boris Kolodny
Artistic Jewelry Design
2775 Dundas St.West
Suite 203
Toronto, On. M6P 1Y4
Canada
Thanks

Boris

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
Marian,
Thanks for the gift of the burs. They will find a good home here.
Let me know if I can do anything for you in the future.

Best,

Boris

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Marion, Andy, Tim, In my experience as a jeweler and working with burs alot I've come to the conclusion that dental carbide burs sold as 1/4 or .01 are not .25mm but are .5mm. Maybe one of you guys could take out a micrometer and measure one for an experiment, I could be wrong on this. The smallest round burs I can find are not carbide but tungsten vanadium steel and I can get them as small .35mm. Just curious about this subject bacause I'm always on the lookout for the smallest of burs.
Jeff

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marian,

Thanks for the burrs. Will give them a go. They look like a very good idea.

Regards,
AirAmp

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Marian if you have any of those burs left i sure would like to give them a try. And thank you so much for your genarous offer
Steve
Steve Burton
575 Hatch hwy NW
Deming NM

Marian Sawby

Jeff, Yes, the burs I use are .010 radius or .020 diameter, but are called 1/4mm. I also have 1/2mm, which I assume would actually be .040 diameter. Does anyone know WHY they are calibrated by radius rather than diameter? Also, I haven't found any smaller than these. Marian

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Marian i got the burs and thank you very Much....If theres ever anything i can do for you please let me know!!!
Steve

Marian Sawby

I wanted to mention that I will be away from home for the Santa Barbara knife show and for a couple of weeks thereafter. So, if anyone else wants some of the burs, I will be able to send them after I get home around May 7. Marian

Latest posts

Sponsors