New monogram cut

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
The trick here was to know when to stop and start over. I lost 25% of the layout do to smudging. Thats where I should have started over. This is the size of a quoter, to small without sharp lay out. All in all its not too bad, I may recut it larger.

Jim

jes1.JPG

jes2.JPG

jes3.JPG

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim, your design is quite good but beware of your shading. Unfortunately you've over run and made the edges of the letters look ragged. Try keeping your graver higher as you enter the cut or start the cut further into the letter and back cut the shading. Also, all the shading needs to run in the same direction. That means the same in every letter. It doesn't work if you shade one letter in one direction and then vary the direction in the other two.

To be quite honest I'd prefer to see these letters threaded rather than shaded. It lends itself more to script and is a sign of quality. If these were Roman or block letters then shading them is fine by all means; but this is just my take.

Well done, keep up the good work!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim, it is getting better every time, I think I must agree with Marcus, and the way he tells it, again I learned something from this.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors