Anodizing Aluminum

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've got a friend that is wanting me to engrave an old pistol he recently bought. It's an old Ruger Flat top .44 and it has an aluminum grip frame. I know the process of anodizing aluminum is different than that of anodizing titanium but that's all I know, don't you actually paint something on for the color when you anodize the aluminum, say to turn it black? And if so is it thick enough to mess up your engraving? If so, does anyone out there know where we could get a steel or brass grip frame for this pistol? Any help will be appreciated.

Dwayne

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Dwayne,

I don't know of any "quick" black solution you can simply paint on. I can give you a little insight into the color anodizing process however ...

It's basically an electrolytic sulfuric acid bath which creates a controlled oxidation of the surface of the aluminum. Dyes can be added to the solution which are absorbed by the pores in the oxidation layer during the process. There are some do it yourself kits and instructions floating around the internet and it is not very expensive to set up.

Aluminum is more reactive than steel or iron but the nice thing about anodizing is that the aluminum will stop conducting electricity when the oxidation is complete.

It doesn't take much surface material to anodize and a polished finished is retained. It's kinda like bluing as it is a very thin layer of the same metal that is oxidized.

The piece must be very clean. If you think you might look into doing it yourself, be sure not use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean any dirt out of the engraving. Aluminum reacts on a molecular level with ultrasonic frequencies and will pit.

It's actually a lucrative little side service to offer. I've been considering it for motorcycle parts.

Chris

Last edited:

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, thanks for your reply, I did really know how to explain what I was talking about, but what you're saying about adding the dye to color during the process is what I was talking about, I'll try to figure out how to do it,

Dennis, I'll post when I get it done, It'll probably be a while, not sure,

Dwayne

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dwayne,
I know there are several aftermarket grip frames for the new model single six/blackhawk but I think the flat top is the old model. You can tell if it is a new model if the grip frame says XR3 RED somewhere.
All that said, the current models aren't even anodized but are either powder coated or have a baked on finish. I might suggest a baked on lacquer for the frame.
Rex

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Dwayne,

A black fabric dye is all you need. There's really no secret hokus pokus coloring made for this process.

Here's an article from Paintball Times for anodizing paintball guns (... this is the original article that has been reprinted all around on hot rod sites etc. etc.):

http://www.paintballtimes.com/Article.asp?ID=74

As for powder coating ... you will fill in your engraving and there's also the chance of warping the frame during the curing process. It sucks to cut through too. Stay away from this process. Anodizing is the way to go.

Good luck,

Chris

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for the link to the interesting article on Anodizing, Chris.
I can see where it could be very usefull on motor cycle parts and some gun frames.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Guys for all the help, I think I'll be able to do it myself with my set up that I already have for the titanium, I appreciate all the help & links, I'll post pictures of it when done.

Dwayne

Latest posts

Sponsors