Bulino, How to Do it and What Not To Do

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
I do not mean to hijack Arnaud's Thread, however I thought this point important enough, it deserves its own Thread, so anybody interested in Bolino would see it..

See Arnaud Van Tilburgh's Posts, My first Bulino / banknote portrait engraving And the Website of Italian engravers.

Link http://www.ilbulinosrl.com/inglesina.htm

If you want to see some Very Beautiful Engraving Pictures, Very High Resolution Photographs, Wonderful Work, Perfect Examples of Bulino, Check out to the website.

The Photo's are of such high resolution, and quality, you can cut out a Bulino animal, blow up the photograph in Photoshop and see exactly how they produced the different colors, (shades) with both cuts and dot's.

Go to the Web Site, Inglesina page, Fifth photo, of the Bald Eagle, cut it out, blow it up and you can see exactly how the Engraver used graver cuts to produced the different colors (from Black to White).

I hope if they see this Post the Engraver will understand, I do not mean to knock this Engravers work, ( It Is Outstanding ).

However on his FEGA Video ( Bulino Techniques ) Chris DeCamillis emphasizes the point.

Do Not scratch your design on the Metal.

Unless you sand out the scratch, It Will still be there, even If you cut over it.

You can see the background design, through the Eagle Image (See the large circle).

You can see the design even where the Engraver has shaded over the background design (See small circles).

This is the first example I have seen to know exactly what Chris was talking about.

Ken

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for calling our attention to this web site.
And what you have to say is interesting.
Kevin P.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken, thanks for pointing me on this, My father found the Italian Bulino website, and I thought it would be interesting especially because they show these high resolutions photos online. But as I never saw a line of fine Bulino, I wasn't looking for lines there to.
But now it becomes more clear how it is done.
arnaud

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Kevin

Actually it was Arnaud that brought the website to my attention, I must give credit where credit is due.

You notice each of the vertical dark lines within the circles, line up with a line on the background.

If you have watched Chris DeCamillis Bulino Video, the technique to make a darker area is to cut very fine straight lines close together.

Then change a few degrees and cut another set of lines, (called crossings) to get the dark area.

The problem is, even after cutting three or more crossings, you will always have an extra crossing where the scratch is.

It is hard to cut the scratch out with a V shaped Graver, ( There will always/usually be some residue of the scratch left) and it will show up as a darker area.

If you go to the website, look within one of the small circles.

It appears the Engraver tried to cut the scratch away and only made the scratch darker.

Ken

Sponsors