CJ's Engraving Class

pskasper

I recently took CJ Allan's Basic Motorcycle Engraving class at Ray Cover's School of Engraving. What a Great time! While there was alot of "BSing" going on while we were learning the "art of engraving" there was also a definate feeling that you could ask CJ anything (and we did) and he would answer your question or demonstrate how to do what you needed to know. He made himself available to answer questions at breakfast or after supper which was really great cause after you get out of class you start thinking of things you should have asked and wish there was more time for class. Hey Ray-maybe classes could go for 10 hours??? It seemed like the days just flew on by. Maybe the most important thing I learned was how to fix my mistakes. BTW: CJ says you can't make mistakes in motorcycle engraving that can't be fixed with alittle imagination or there is a corn field that will take care of them for you. While I did let slip some colorful words on occassion I learned from each and every one of them. CJ still is answering my questions after the class, which from past expericance usually more knowledge=more cash to the instructor, not with CJ. While my motorcycle knowledge is very limited I am surrounded by guys who encouraged me to take this class so that all would benefit. Anyone who has the patience, and desire, can learn this. CJ has incredible patience and wants you to walk away from the class with all your questions answered. I have attached pic's of work done at class-while it's not the wonderful delicate works of art I have seen here it is what bikers want on their bikes.

Ray Cover also has a great setup at his school. Lots of differant equipment to play with and he also was very willing to answer all the questions we had for him (even though we weren't in his class!). He made us feel verrrrrry welcomed at his school listening to him and CJ interact was also very amusing-but not as much fun as CJ and his daughter Jzena (who was taking the class) interact with each other! Looks like another generation of talented engravers from the Allan family.

I'd also like to Thank everyone for their posts to this forum-I have been learning alot from you. And I've even made a purchase from the "for sale" area.

So much for my first post. Enjoy your day, Peggy Sue

Attachments

• P1010115a.jpg
    P1010115a.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 114
  • P1010112a.jpg
    P1010112a.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 115

Andrew Biggs

Hi Peggy Sue and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you guys had a great time of it.

It's always nice to learn something that you are interested in doing............It's a pity high school was never as much fun :)

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hello Peggy Sue and welcom aboard! :tiphat:

Sounds like you had a good class and thanks for the photos of your results in your first post. Now that you're off and running with engraving I hope you'll continue to participate and enjoy the fun here!

Cheers / ~Sam

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Peggy, indeed looks you had a good time. Till now I never did some course but I would like it, only when I'm ready for it and Sam is in Belgium.
In the meanwhile I can tell you there is a lot to learn in this café.

arnaud

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Peggy Sue,

Welcome to the forum!

And now you have placed a song on my brain. I'll be whistling and singing that song the rest of the day. Might even have to go and get my guitar for a little while.

You will enjoy it here, and we will be looking forward to more postings. Good to have you here with us.

Ron S

pskasper

Thanks for the warm welcome! Ron-I hope the song didn't bother you too much that day-of course kicking back and playing your guitar is a great way to spend an afternoon. I find it verrrrrry interesting that so many here play some sort of instrument.

High school was so boring, not like CJ's class. The teachers there could learn something from him.

There is alot to be learned here and I will be posting more. I just have to get past "tax season"-got to pay the bills somehow.

Latest posts

Sponsors