Hi all , my first post

style0

I am a total newbie to this, so bear with me. Years ago I got a whole box of gravers and misc. engraving tools at an estate sale. The plastic handled ones have deteriorated but the wooden handeled ones seem fine. I'm sure they need to be cleaned and sharpened. Well I just got a real good book on firearms engraving from the Library. I AM HOOKED. Bryson Gwinnel and Joe Rundell are my new heros. Now where do I start? Is there anyone in the St. Louis area (Florissant) that can come take a look at this stuff and tell me what's what? I bet there are over 50 gravers of various sizes and styles.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. your best start is right here. read everything you can. a great book to get you started is the meeks book, by james b. meeks, "the art of engraving". it gives a good overview of most of the disciplines required of the practicing engraver.
if you can afford to take an instructional class on engraving, that's the best investment one could ever make. this art requires many seemingly unrelated skills be brought together to make for successful engraving. i think, first off, the meeks' book would properly show these to you. best of luck to you.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You've got a tremendous resource about 50 miles South of you. Check out Ray Cover's website about his school down in Festus. (I made his name a link to his site)