New rings

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
It's been awhile since I've posted anything. Fortunately, it's because I've been busy working:).
Here's some rings I finished last week.

The platinum rings started as solid bands that I set in a fishtail style which has no borders. I used a crossover style of engraving on the sides which flows up to create the illusion of prongs holding in the diamonds. The out-of-focus center diamond (which I didn't get to supply) is worth close to $100k. Must be nice!!

The 3-ring set is 18kt gold. I'm donating these for a charity event at my son's school. I kept it pretty simple.

Attachments

• P1011825.jpg
    P1011825.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 138
  • dvfoundationrings.jpg
    dvfoundationrings.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 120
  • dvfoundationrings2.jpg
    dvfoundationrings2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 129
  • crossover engraving.jpg
    crossover engraving.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
mbroder,
Nice work, must have been a little nerve raking to work on such a cost piece. I like the knot like style of the cuts. Goes well withe the stones.
All the best
Rick

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
I don't get nervous about setting $100k diamonds, but if it was an emerald with that value, I might...

I added a picture from laying the ring on my scanner. You can see the side pattern a little better.

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Awesome stuff, and just like you said I've never had any big problems setting diamonds but emeralds, opals, tanzanites can be nerveracking to say the least. I set a 1 carat pear sapphire 2 days ago and during the setting I heard something crack, the worst sound to a jeweler, luckily the stone was fine and the customer loved it.
Jeff

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
I'm familiar with that sound and the pit it makes in your stomachshock. Thank goodness I've never broken anything of high value in my 26 years setting. I think the most expensive stone I chipped was a couple hundred dollars and that was years ago when I was still learning. Still not fun though. But, as all setters know, things happen...

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
We could'nt find anything wrong w the stone visually but I'm sure it chipped a facet somewhere, the stone itself was taken out of ring and set into a pendant. It was'nt the best cut or stone, had alot of inclusions, scary stuff..
Jeff
This is why I love engraving, metal is a very forgivable material. Besides burnishing out imperfections I've also used a laser on different types of stainless and for the most part it works great.

Latest posts

Sponsors