Progress on Greener

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Superb Phil!!

What are your subjects going to be?

I also like the oakleaf scroll combination. Thanks for showing.

Ron S
Thanks Ron,
The subjects are going to be, Lt. Plate, Dogs and partridge. Rt. Plate, Dogs and pheasant, Bottom, Dogs and Grouse. All scenes carved. There are oak leaves on the one side and wheatshiefs on the other, the original gun shows the four seasons.
Very nice design and execution Phil!
Your ornamentation is completely original and yet also in the English tradition. It makes me think of the artistic movement "Arts and Craft"
Alain
Alain,
This gun is based on an original Greener, but they wanted my input into it, by bringing it more up to date. So it's design has changed, but if you held it next to the original they are "Simular".

I am pretty vague about the dog breeds because i'm not sure what they are on the old original gun :(
Hi Phil, Most excellent!!! I also was wondering about the dot looking spots in the close-up, were they for a particular effect? I'd like to understand the reason for the method, if that makes much sense. A very subtle touch that I find quite intriguing.
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com
These little circles represent a stylized ribbon/belt, buckles could also be used?!......no rules in engraving, if it looks good, put it in!

Phil
Ps. Not many people know that Wells Fargo supplied their stage coach guards with Greener shotguns.

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks again for taking the time to show your work Phil. The richness of your engraving is amazing and your pictures show the most minute detail.

It is a pleasure to see it.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil Coogan

That close up alone is a tutorial in shading for me.
Learning from a master.
Thank you
Kevin P.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, Everyone has already said it all, So I'll just say Thanks for sharing! I love your work and hope to one day get close to it.

Dwayne

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Phil:

A magnificent work. :beerchug: I like the style and the design of the engraving. Thanks by the photos.

Montejano
-----------------

Hi Phil:

A magnificent work. I like the style and design of the engraving. Thanks for the photos.

Montejano

alfrisillo

Phil,
How do you go about laying the pattern out on the gun to cut? I make relatively simple transfers compared to the detail you show in your work. Some of your work and others show very thin lines representing vines or stems that intertwine and are quite complex. Do you work directly on the firearm?

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'ts best to stick to the main lines of the pattern when transfering it. All the "frills" like leaf folds etc are put in later. To add these to the pattern would over complicate the design.

Phil

Latest posts

Sponsors