Burin tip cutting area graphical analysis.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all!

I think that these grids would be useful to see more clear the relationship between the wide and the deep of the cuts. It is obviously that the more depth the more width but it is interesting to see these magnitudes related in a graphic and the area that the burin will be removing in each situation.
I made some graphics of cuts at 0.20mm of depth to show that, as an example, the area involved in a cut with a 120º burin almost double the area of the 90º burin. Also this indicate that you will need more power to do the same cut with a wider burin.
You can read in the X coordinate of the first graphic the wide of the cut at the material surface looking for a desired deep in the Y coordinate.

It is possible to measure the cuts width at the material surface using a reticle. These are glasses disk with microscopic scales printed on one of its surfaces. You can put a reticle over the surface and see it through the microscope reading the measure of the cut. Be careful of putting the printed side down to the surface to minimize the parallax error introduced by the glass thickness. Some microscopes have this accessory include but it is really bothering if you are using the microscope for other purpose than measuring because you are seeing this reticle all the time.

I bought my reticles in Edmund Optics. Here is the link to the page. I would recommend the “35mm Diameter Contact Reticle, Multi Scale” that works really great.
http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=1728

Hope this grids helps a bit!
Best regards, Leonardo.

PS. I enjoy doing these kind of things much more than translations, anyway I will do those that are pending later.
By the way, how do you say correctly: “graphical burin tip cutting area analysis” or “burin tip cutting area graphical analysis”?? Thanks!
Cheers!

Attachments

• TIP_AREA_ANALYSIS.pdf
    12.7 KB · Views: 512