Lynton McKenzie Info--Pics

Lynn E.

Hi Everyone.
I'm trying to find some good photos of Lynton's work to study. I have his video. I am looking for photos & was wondering if anyone had any to share, or could list the publications/books he might be featured in so that I can do a search for them.
Thank you!
Lynn E.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good luck. It is rather ellusive but I have found a few surfing the net at gun sites, auctions, etc. I had to reload my hard drive since I found and saved them but if I can find any pics of his work I will surely share them here.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lynn,

Good luck! I too, have been trying to find good photos of Lynton's work. There are a few in Meek's book if I remember correctly, but I've not been able to find any others. I'm sure there are many of us Newbies who would relish seeing some on this forum. I've heard so much about the man since I began this engraving mania, yet I've not seen much of his work. People speak of "McKenzie scrolls" and I still don't know exactly what they are, or at least, what makes them special. Anyone out there who is more knowledgable, please satisfy our curiosity.

Mark

Lynn E.

Photo from Google Images

Ok, I've never done this sort of thing before, so don't know if I'll succeed. I managed to find one gun thru google images search. Actually, the photos are quite wonderful. It's a start at least. I will see if I can load an image and/or a link. Otherwise, go to Google, then the Images link, then I typed in "lynton mckenzie", then it showed a photo labeled RARE Lynton-McKenzie.
If you click on it, it brings up their site (jamesdjulia.net) with 3 session numbers. I typed in Lynton McKenzie again in their search box, & the auction gun comes up. Click on "VIEW".
It is well worth the effort to see this gun. Or if you have $26,000 laying around, maybe you can study it first hand! Thanks for the responses so far. Maybe we can all come up with more info.
Lynn
http://jamesdjulia.net/firearm/oct06/firearm_oct06_s2.asp

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to insert the images. Maybe one of you computer gurus can git 'er done.
PS--there are others guns on their site worth seeing, too.

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
thanks cody for the link on lyntons work .. i too studied lyntons work when i started engraving back in the 70s. i will now add to my large collection of photos of his work .. thanks again .. ron p.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Those are excellent examples of Lynton's pre-microscope engraving. His style changed a bit later on, but these photos are fantastic and really show his famous scrollwork. / ~Sam

Bill Brockway

McKenzie photos

Lynn -

Here are a few photos, copied from the old New Orleans Arms brochure, published between the time Lynton came on board, and the time when Sam took his place. It's hard to conceive that these were done with push gravers, and hammer and chisel, and, as Sam has mentioned, before he switched to the microscope.

Sam, if there is a copyright problem with these, go ahead and pull them. I don't see anything in the brochure that would indicate so. I do think this is absolutely beautiful work, however. Still looks good, after 35 or so years.

Bill

Sam

Staff member
Bill: Thanks for posting these. You saved me the trouble! I was going to photograph the same brochure.
~Sam

Lynn E.

Wow, Bill, THANK YOU! Nice clear close-up photos to study. Just what I was looking for. I like the inter-twining areas, too.
The website I mentioned earlier has some early guns along with some contemporary. I did various searches besides Lynton, such as "engraved Colt", "engraved Winchester", "engraved pistol", etc. Found some interesting guns. Some good shots of old factory engraving, too. Gotta say, I love what our engravers are doing now! THANKS AGAIN! Lynn

Bill Brockway

more of McKenzie

Lynn -

Here are a couple more pictures of Lynton's work. When I sent the others, I had prepared 7 shots for sending, only to find that I could only send 4 pictures in one message. So, I had to delete some shots. These are the culls. From the same book.

Hope you can use them.

Bill

fred carter

McKenzie original smoke pull

Here are scans of part of an original McKenzie smoke pull that he gave me many years ago. The engraving is from the wrapped tang of a D.E.Henry bowie. The background was bead blasted. Fred

Attachments

• McKenzie-smoke-pull-1.jpg
    McKenzie-smoke-pull-1.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 225
  • McKenzie-smoke-pull-2.jpg
    McKenzie-smoke-pull-2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 194

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Fred. I've added your post to the Tips archive as well. This is great stuff.

Lynn E.

Thanks so much Fred & Bill. I've already found more than I had hoped. Thanks for adding them to the archives, Sam. His work is timeless.