Ngraver?

I'm considering buying the Ngraver. Most of my work will be on silver and copper jewelry. If any of you
members use one of these, maybe you can tell me the pros and cons of these units. Much thanks, 1941

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

The Magnagraver is one of the big 3 tools that are prefered for gunsmithing and knife engraving in that it is powerful enough for various steels.

Disadvantage is it needs a flex shaft to work which can restrict your engraving. Now it comes with a PG fordom motor that runs at the required 2800 rpm max. It is a mechanical system.

advantage it is good for cutting out alot of metal with the varable power selector and is able to take 1/8 in square gravers and wood chisels for carving. It also can hit at 40 strokes or lower for hammer and chisel effect for vintage like H&C engraving. People that own these usully will not sell them since they do work well and is a great added tool.

I would look at the tools in about the same price range that do not need a flex shaft and are pnumatic like the GraverSmith, GRS System 3 (for gold and silver only) and the lindsay artisan.

Hope this helps.

AirAmp

Last edited:

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
I've had and use mine since the late 70s.....& it's definatly not for sale..

Like Airamp says.it's flex-shaft....so the control in getting down to one- stroke at a time is something you can't get with air tools..
I'm even considering buying one of the new ones with adjustable power...........
And as far as gravers go.....the ones Ngraver sells are by far the best I've found anywhere......

I highly recommended for one starting out...then move up to something like the Lindsay Artisan, which is what I'm now using and couldn't be happier with.

One of these days I'll move up to the top of the line Lindsay Palm Control....but for now my Ngraver & Artisan are all I need, or really want.........

I've also been useing a gravermax for about 30 years, but it just sits in the corner of my bench these days.....

Hope this helps.......

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi CJ,

Call Ray at NGraver and he will change it over to the varable power and multi collet chuck with collets (up to 1/8" sq) for about $65.00 plus shipping. Great Deal to update yours and he rebuilds anything that i not quite right at the same time for no charge.

This is what I did for mine and it came back like new. I also ordered the wood chisel set with the extra collet (5/32 Sq) so you can even use a bigger graver blank in the magnagraver.. Very cool.

AirAmp

jldj

Hello everyone, I've got one - not able to do what the others do - but I like the tool. I got Ray's little instruction booklet too. I've been trying to follow it. I'm still working on cutting straight lines. Next it'll be plunge cut lines, etc. I'm a beginner - got the tool years ago off e-bay(used to be an addicted buyer) - this was one of the good ones. I sent it to Ray and got it upgraded to the vari-pact. I also got a foredom high torque flex shaft from MSC. It also holds my quick change gravers. Hope you find one.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I used one for a time. It worked very well. Having said that, i simply didn't like it being tethered to the flex shaft. Other than that, the tool performed better than i was able to make it perform ! It's a good tool. The gravers mr phillips sells are also of good quality.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Speaking of Ray,

I like this shot of him at his Reno booth this year. What a great guy!

A new unit from Ray would be the best, if you are cash strapped I have an NGraver available.

rcameron@mcn.org

best

Rod

Attachments

• ray.jpg
    ray.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 439

greyback

Hi. I am a new member as well as a new engraver. I, too, use the magnagraver and find it suitable for my needs at the present time. Maybe in the future I will upgrade to the airgravers. I have found that by suspending the motor about 18 inches above and to the right of my shoulder using a fairly strong coil spring it allows a freedom of movement with the flex shaft. I don't have to fight with it when engraving. Hope this helps.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray is certainly one of the nicest fellows one could ever meet. That having been said, I started out with the Vari-pac tool and learned quite a bit from it. However, not only did the "short tether" bug me, but the strong vibration began to hurt my hand. I covered the tool with a padded "sleeve" sold to cover Foredom flexshaft handpieces and that helped a bit. But, it wasn't until I got the Gravermax, and more importantly, the Airtact that I got truly comfortable engraving. The ability to carve wood with the N-Graver was a cool benefit though. I don't want to start any controversy, but since you asked... You won't go wrong with the tool, it just would not be my first choice.

Mark

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought mine about 30 years ago and still use it for certain jobs....and no, it isn't for sale. Ray is a super guy and will help you any way he can.

Bill

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any updated opinions on this system? Has it changed much, or at all since this thread started. I too and new to engraving and am lookin for the most budget (power assisted) friendly approach. Thanks ahead of time
JB

Alcyone

Hey Rod, do you possibly have an ngraver magnagraver for sale ? Im new and looking to pick up a second hand unit.

Best regards
Kyle Osnack

Speaking of Ray,

I like this shot of him at his Reno booth this year. What a great guy!

A new unit from Ray would be the best, if you are cash strapped I have an NGraver available.

rcameron@mcn.org

best

Rod

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
There are 3 on ebay now..
search MagnaGraver or Magna graver or NgraveR

AirAmp

Latest posts

Sponsors