Need some help

bcarter

I am fairly new to engraving but have been reading this site for some time now. I do have a question. I am wanting to try my hand at engraving some bracelets and I don't want to make them in silver just yet. What kind of metal is a good choice, what gauge and do you have any good sources? Any help would be appreciated.

bcarter

Yes, I know copper will work. I guess I should try to explain what I am trying to do. I want to do traditional engraving like what is done on a knife of gun, not try to do the bright cuts yet, I need a lot more practice in that area.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
A mild steel should work. It may be a little harder to bend, but in a 16 or 18 gauge should be OK. Womens open cuff bracelets are 6" plus or minus, depending on the wrist, and men's are 7" again plus or minus for the wrist. Widths range from 3/8 to 1 1/2 for most bracelets I have done. If you want to make bangle bracelts ( full loops that are closed) they will need to be about 8" long before you weld them. Do the welding as cleanly as possible, because after the cleanup you will need to engrave through it.
I am not much of a steel worker, but have done some in the past. Look at NHcowboy1961. He does a lot of spurs and buckles out of 'sweet steel', and they look mighty nice.
Will

bcarter

Thank you so much! Now another newbie question, when you say mild steel are you talking about a 400 series or nickel? This site is great, everyone offering to help!

Copper Cheaper

Hi, I buy copper from a local metals dealer in Orange County, CA. They have a bin with various gauge scraps
and leftovers that sell around $5. a pound. If you can find a metals dealer in your area, they probably have
leftovers too. Much cheaper than going to Rio or any of the jewelry supply firms. Jim Whitehouse tells me that
aluminum is a good practice material too. Hope this helps. Have a great day. 1941

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
I have made some out of aluminum like this and they came out ok considering I am new. I also made some out of stainless that were ok. I do not know what type of stainless it is though.

Attachments

• Aluminum braclet.jpg
    Aluminum braclet.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 70

Latest posts

Sponsors