Stainless questions...

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Hey guys,
I have a client who would like a S&W 686 revolver engraved.... This is a stainless gun. Anyone out in engraverland ever tackle one of these? ( ran a search with no information)

Also (while I am at it) anyone with experience engraving a Ruger SS Single Six back strap?

I really appreciate any information as to the engraveability of these two Stainless revolvers.

A BIG thanks,

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dennis,
The two guns can be different beasts. For the most part, S&W stainless is OK, The cylinder and barrel will be harder. The frames are usually OK. I use the word usually as I have seen variations on these things.
The Ruger on the other hand can be a real pain. They tend to vary from gun to gun and for the most part the cylinders, barrels and loading gates can be downright impossible. I've engraved a couple with no problem and then had a couple that I could hardly scratch. I'm getting older and crankier now so I just leave the Rugers for others. Usually the backstrap can be engraved however. Try a spot on the inside to be sure.
Rex

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Dennis, I agree with Rex 100%. I cut a 629 (stainless 44 mag) last summer. It cut fine but the barrel and cylinder were both harder than the frame and the barrel was actually harder than the cyl. I used carbide cutters and had no problems. Can't help with the Ruger.

David

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The S&W stainless guns cut real nice. The frames are soft and very managable. Cylinders and barrels are harder but well within the workable hardness range.

Latest posts

Sponsors