Just a Practice Plate

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is the first "Practice Plate" I bought from GRS.
It came with the package with Ron's books.
I think it made of some steel, and although it was well packed in plastic with oil, I had some scratches on it.
Most important of course, there was a laser design from Ron on it.
The plate has a size 50mm X 50mm
So, it is not my design. :p

I know it is not even close to perfect, but I experienced that I had much more control on the shading.
Also did I experienced that a shading line, changing it a bit makes a lot of difference.
I also know where I ruined some parts of the shading. I tried to fix it, but too many black only becomes more black.

I sure like some contrast, and the plate looks pretty good to me, in life size. :D

I just post this one to share with you, and in particular for the novices like me who can perhaps learn from my mistakes.

So all comments are welcome, as long as it is not about the little errors I made. :D

arnaud

Last edited:

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Good day Arnaud,
I think it came out pretty nice and yes it a step forward on the learning curve, Keep up the good work.

Cheers

"VAN"

catnip

Always a pleasure Arnaud, and yes, as a novice myself, I keep hlod of your work and study it. I am gaining lots of ground now by learning from yourself and others. Hopefully in the future I'll have something to post. Regards Tony

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is excellent Arnaud! Clean and pretty consistent.

You should be pleased with that.

Ron S

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, I think it's pretty impressive.
I bought Ron's books but they (GRS) didn't send me any plates :( .
Did the plate have shading lines lasered on it?

When I start a new plate I use 'scotchbrite' to clean the surface and then wipe it down with acetone. I rub the 'scotchbrite' in only one direction. I don't know if it's available to you; it's a green pad that's not too abrasive.
Kevin P.

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud, looks very good overall. Clean cut curves and shading. let us see more. I sure wish I had Ron's books for my extensive collection but am rather short of funds now:(

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, I have a couple of suggestions for you. While sitting in my studio I was thinking of my own work and trying to think of ways to make progress. It may be something that would help you also.
Why are you posting your work? What are your expectations? For example you chose to do this design by Ron. What did you expect to learn?
What did you expect to achieve? Do you feel you reached the goal you set for yourself? Where do you feel you failed? Where do you feel you succeeded? Tell us these things when you post work.

I know you're a sensitive guy. If you do these things there will be fewer criticisms. And, I think, a big goal is to be able to look with a critical eye, at one's own work.
Then the criticisms, comments others make may point out something you missed.
Everyone here wants you to succeed.
I plan to follow my own advice. I want to push my self to make progress in my engraving; as I'm sure you do. We can help each other.
Kevin P.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you all for your nice words.
I know I have not yet reached my goal, as I move it constantly.

I’ m practising on both design and engraving. But right now I especially want to practice my cutting skills as I know every time I finish a practice plate, the next will be better.
And I think that I’m getting close to a result that is worth on more than just a practice plate.

Here are some tips I learned and helped me to cut smoother on both main lines and shading.
- I use the whole working space of the microscope, not just the centre. Moving the ball vise while cutting a line results in elbows.
- I make sure the practice plate is horizontal, that way I don’t have to adjust the sharpness of the microscope. Also lifting the engraver to cut wider shading lines remain constantly.
- Before cutting a line I turn the vise to see if the whole line stays in the view. If not I adjust that part of the plate to the centre of the vise.

@Kevin I ordered a promotion package at GRS, including the two books of Ron and some practice plates with laser design by Ron and a Buck knife. Buying them all in this Kit was cheaper.
And sure this Café helps very much to learn, I’m thankful to all of you four the tips that improve my engraving skills.
That is the reason why I show my struggling, progress and solutions.

I’m also sure that the master engravers are very willing to share their knowledge, but… :D
Sometimes forget to tell simple things. Things that are obvious to them but not for newbie.
So probably they also learn from students to improve their teacher skills. That is why perhaps it is also important to give some feedback.

And now up to my next practice plate

arnaud

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud Could you clarify what you mean by the "whole working space of the microscope"?
What you say about master engravers I agree with. They are not all in that group. I've been viewing Lynton McKenzie's video's. There are three. I'm still on the first; but what I've noticed is his manner. He comes across as very calm and patient. He's also answering some basic questions that have troubled me. Even better these videos are now available in a disc format.
I've had the same thought about accomplished engravers. I took a engraving class in which the instructor (not our genial moderator) was a whiz. He never explained or taught anything but he was an expert engraver.
As a result of my experiences I'm setting up a blog. As I been practicing I've been making detailed notes about what I've discovered. Students can be better teachers to one another than the 'teacher'. Students are at a similar level and see things that the teacher may have assimilated so long ago that it's not readily available.
I also have a number of years of experience as a teacher and I had respect for my students.
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors