new colt just finished

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
here is another Colt is the series that I am doing for my customer , this one has a lot of gold all around the gun ,, thanks for looking .

Attachments

• Gun Engraving 1741.jpg
    Gun Engraving 1741.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Gun Engraving 1750.jpg
    Gun Engraving 1750.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Gun Engraving 1747.jpg
    Gun Engraving 1747.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Gun Engraving 1751.jpg
    Gun Engraving 1751.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Gun Engraving 1752.jpg
    Gun Engraving 1752.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 163

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron

I think it's that great finish you're getting on the guns that makes the gold look like it's floating. That's such a beautiful, glossy smooth blue-black that even the untouched parts of the gun are a joy to behold.

So, has your customer been showing off these beauties or is he holding them back to just sledgehammer everyone at something like a Colt Collector's show? As stunning as each gun you've shown us has been the impact of the set has to be just amazing.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Ron your engraving work on these pistols is truly amazing - very well done Sir. Are you also doing the polish of the metal, case coloring and blueing? If so this is a tremdous effort. I have polished a few pieces to a mirror finish and I know the work that is involved. Again great work.

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Ron your gold work is amazing! No other words can describe it. I am still having a hell of a time try to undercut all those thin smooth small scrolls and its making me lose my mind:mad: Any help would be appreciated immensely.
Thank you for showing it for me to dream about doing it myself someday. lol

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
I want to thank every body for your coments , I had fun doing this Colt each time I looked at it I saw a new place and design for gold .

Stewart .. thanks

hi Tim . I wish you where closer to me I would give you a course in how to do that type of gold inlaying , it is not hard

hi Dave .. it was nice having you back in my shop again for a new lesson on engraving Ti. not bad stuff to cut ,, hu, hu,
the finish on this colt is hot blued , I use a gun smith near me , he does all of my work ,his web site is www.vicknairrestorations.com he is one of the best .. before I give him the gun I polish all of the metal up to a very bright finish and then let him do his magic .. thanks again

here are some more angles .. ron p

Attachments

• Gun Engraving 1750.jpg
    Gun Engraving 1750.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Gun Engraving 1751.jpg
    Gun Engraving 1751.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Gun Engraving 1752.jpg
    Gun Engraving 1752.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 20

Andrew Biggs

before I give him the gun I polish all of the metal up to a very bright finish and then let him do his magic .. thanks again

Hi Ron

From memory you've said in the past that you polish the gun.......... after you've inlayed and engraved it. (hopefully my memory is right here!!!)

So how do you polish the gun without damaging the engraved lines?

Cheers
Andrew

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi Andrew .. you are right ,, i did say that , here is what i do .. after engraving and gold inlaying i sand every thing with 600 grit paper then i go over it with 800 grit and then 1000 grit after that i use 4 ott steel wool and then i polish all of the metal with a fine compound ,then i use a very fine compound this one is green in color ,, don't use any white compound because it cuts fast . next i cut all of my shade lines and clean them up with 4 ott steel wool .. i hope this helped ..
ron p

Latest posts

Sponsors