Is there a resource for gun profiles?

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Walther PPK to engrave, and would like to play with several scroll layouts before I begin cutting. Is there a single source for gun profiles, ala FEGA with the SAA and double gun receiver in their Professional Engraver qualifications? If not, how do you get an accurate view of the side, top and other aspects of the piece. I can, of course, draw them out, but not with the degree of accuracy I would like.
Will

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Will,
The way I make an outline is to put a film of transfer wax on the gun and then lay some clear shipping tape over it and lightly burnish the edges.
Peel the tape off and stick it on a sheet of paper.
Cover it with some tracing paper and draw in the outline with a sharp pencil.

This can also be done using a thin film of printers ink in lieu of the transfer wax.
It can also be done with some slightly damp paper layed over the part and then rubbed with the side of the lead pencil point like a kid making a trace of a penny.
Another way for a flat side is to lay it on the glass of a copy machine or printer set at 100%, lay a white cloth over it and print.
Then trace it as before.
You will probably get other ideas. There a a jillion ways to do this.
Best of luck, John B.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thought I posted earlier but I guess it didn't take or I goofed up.
The FEGA "How-To" book that is available to members has some drawings like that but none of a PPK. John's methods are the best and erally doesn't take that much time to do.

Sponsors