Print/sitting girl

steichman

This is the first time for a subject other than an animal or bird and a bit larger then most i have done . All dot construction, Bilion i guess. I could use all the help i could get from this forum to improve on my tecnique.This plate is about 2"square. Included are some of the proofs and plate.

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• DSC06780a.jpg
    DSC06780a.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC06769a.jpg
    DSC06769a.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC06775a.jpg
    DSC06775a.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC06774a.jpg
    DSC06774a.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 196

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, I think she has two of the same feet. They both look right or left depending on if it's the plate or print.

steichman

You guy's are murder! Some of these thing i know need to be fixed. One dot in the wrong place and heck you have extra toes!! You get myopic under the scope any tips and tecniques as to how to lay down a dot pattern? or control density?

Andrew Biggs

Hi Steve

Don’t forget that the human form is the hardest to draw. The trouble is that we see humans everyday and so we all know exactly what they are supposed to look like. Any variations and it becomes immediately noticeable.

If you were to put an extra whisker on a wombat it becomes a bit less noticeable unless you are a wombat purist.

Density is defined by how close things are together. Therefore the closer things are together the denser they become. This applies to your dots and closer will be darker and the further apart they are, the lighter they will look.

This may mean that you have to go over areas several times to get tonal differences and start building the picture up in layers. It all really depends on your own work methods.

Border lines also define areas and create edges. For instance on the ladies calf muscles. You have created a line of dots that has created an edge to her muscles. Under harsh light conditions that would be fine as harsh light tends to flatten objects. Under normal light conditions the transition from dark to light to white would be a lot more subtle and create roundness of the muscle giving it a more natural look. To do this you would stagger the dots in a random way and not create an edge in the light areas.

Just remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day and all of this is a matter of your observation skills that will get honed over a period of time. Observation and practice are the key elements and both take time. If you wish to go down the bulino dot road then I would highly recommend the latest book about Fracassi. It’s truly inspirational.

Just keep at it………………it’ll come eventually. All it takes is time, practice and observation.

Cheers
Andrew

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree Andrew - the plate overall is wonderfully done. One line that's a little off wouldn't be a big deal if the subject wasn't one so drilled into our brains.

Steve - I'm looking forward to your next plate!

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steichman, I just wanted to thank you for posting. I think what your doing is very cool with the prints and I would like to know how you make them. Paper type, ink?, the process, and my question is, are their any how too's or books on the subject. I see copper ethcing prints everywhere, especially in the western world, and I would like to try a little of it. Thanks again for posting. Seth

Sponsors