leaf script

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I first began engraving, I could see the necessity of drawing the alphebets, so I spent a lot of time with J.M. Berglings book learning the structure of letters. You can't imagine how much time you will save in the long run.

Once you have the structure of one style down (Script for instance), then go to Old English, then Pearl Roman, and so on. There are keys to drawing letters, and once you find that structural similarity in one style, it is easy to draw any letter in the style.

You will waste an awful lot of time copying letters, while you will gain time if you can draw them quickly because you knos the structure. Structure comes first, always.

Hope this helps you understand the need to study structure first, as it make a big difference in the accuracy and consistency of your work, and this is what makes good lettering.

Lettering is a whole different ball game and must be accurate.

I remember how easy it was to skip this phase, but I made myself do it and I can draw any letter that I used commonly in engraving. Once you have done this, it is easier to understand and learn other styles.

Study the principals of structure in Sam's examples, and apply it to any letter, even block letters, but like he said, learn the letter first.

Good Luck!!

Ron S

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think sam posted an entire font of his leaf caps. look back in the warehouse. take a flashlight, it's dark back there !

Latest posts

Sponsors