Stimulate the economy: Buy more tools!

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using a piece of Black Arkansas stone in a holder for my fine polishing. It worked ok unless I let the graver tip go over the edge. If it did, it was time for major re-sharpening. So I used my Christmas $$ and bought a ceramic disc, what an improvement! I also picked up some Thermo-Loc to experiment with.
Before

After

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Robert, I also tried everything to sharpen my engravers, but the PowerHone, Dual angle and wheels are no longer luxury.
Sure some other sharpening systems works, but to sharpen your engravers equal al the time....

arnaud

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud, I fiddled with a Quick Change holder for years, even modified it a bit to help ZERO in each different graver. I upgraded to the Dual Angle last year, another worthwhile investment.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Robert,

Thermolock rocks! You can just find all kinds of things to do with it.

Ron S

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Robert, those tools sure make the difference! One of my first posts, Brian Powley advised me to keep my tools sharp, old stupid me had thought i did a decent job on my old stones, but after i resharpened them the correct way, i made a difference.... You are correct about stimulating the economy buy buying right now, some of our suppliers could face rouigh times and temporary go out of business, then would we be ?? Buy some tools now in the event they may not always be with us, and throw in a couple of good books also....

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The only thing better than a power hone is my adapted Raytech facetor. The speed is totally adjustable and it has a reverse and I've cut everything but diamond on it. I got a second unit dedicated to sharpening. I got my ceramic lap for $35 new. This is the material they're using in Japan to make high end chef's knives. I think this ceramic was developed in Japan. Maybe the success of the knives led to the higher price of a ceramic lad.
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors