computer question

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, Could anyone with computer expertise tell me if there is much difference between Microsoft Frontpage 2002 and the 2003 version. There seems to be a big price diff. on ebay. I am just wanting to build a fairly simple web site for myself, not go into the business. Thanks Ken

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I used Frontpage since the first version and recently switched to Dreamweaver when I went to Mac computers. Frontpage is pretty basic and effective and relatively easy to learn. I would definitely recommend getting the latest version as it'll be less buggy and may generate cleaner code (although Frontpage has never been known for clean code).

Dreamweaver would be a much better choice. / ~Sam

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Ken, the latest dreamweaver is Dreamweaver 8. It has numerous features and fixes from the previous version MX. I use to use front page as well and I will tell you dreamwesver is the way to go. I like it because you can add add-ons like JustSo PictureWindow and JustSo PhotoAlbum, which are great add-ons for photos and albums. As yes the software works with both PC and Mac.

Sam

Staff member
Dreamweaver has both PC and Mac versions. It is an awesome piece of software with many nice features. It will code javascript rollovers for buttons, make Flash buttons, and makes working with CSS (cascading style sheets) pretty effortless. If you look at the navigation panel on the left of iGraver.com you'll notice rollover buttons. This was done with CSS and not graphics, so there are no button images to pre-load. The pages are pretty quick as a result.

Also, the navigation panel itself is seperate html file called a Server Side Include. When I add a new link to the nav panel I only have to add it to that one file, not each page on the site. Updating is a breeze. There are dozens more reasons why Dreamweaver is the best thing out there. If you decide to use it, I recommend Lynda.com for their SUPERB software training videos. You can register for 1-month and get up to speed very quickly with their online videos. The only bad thing is you can't save them to your computer. You have to watch 'em online. / ~Sam

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
One last dreamweaver question, I live in a rural area and have dial-up internet. Can I build the web site, burn it to a cd, take it to the library which has a T1 line and load it onto Pair.com? Thanks Ken

Sam

Staff member
If you wish to upload from a different computer, then log into Pair's member login area and upload the files via the web control panel. Back in the day I uploaded many sites via dialup, so unless you have really huge files or thousands of pages, I'd stay home and do it from there.