Bright Cut Flower Tutorial: End Here

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Continue this series of two cuts until all petals are closed.

Now we need to fill in the petals with shading. Demonstrated here are two variations of shading. The first way is less time consuming once you have a feel for the technique used as it does take some practice to achieve. The tool I use for this looks like a chisel with the cutting edge being slightly curved. Place one edge of the graver at the edge of the center of the flower and begin to quickly walk the graver inside the petal as you simultaneously rotate the engraving block in the direction in which you want the graver to travel.

Result.

This second technique takes a more time to perform because each line is cut in invidually with a single point graver. The time it takes depends on how fine or how thick you chose to engrave these individually cut shading lines.

Begin to single point shading.

Result.

Fill in tip of petals with your choice of liner. In this case I am using an 18/12 liner.

Result.

Now cross hatch with a coarser liner. In this case a 30/10 is used.

Result.

Finished

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
The flower walking tool is very interesting. I would like to see a picture of the tool in profile
just layed on the table. Good Tutorial.

Jim

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Greg, Thanks for taking the time for this wonderful tutorial. I've moved it to the tips archive and have merged the posts into one large tutorial post. It's participation like this that makes this such a great place to hang out. Thanks again for your time. :)

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
Greg,

To see the profile of the tool you are using would be very helpful. Especially, the curved part.
good job on the tutorial.

Boris

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! What a great tutorial!

I'd also like to see a shot showing the curve on your tool. It sounds like you're 'just' wiggle cutting for the petals and I'm guessing the curve is to make it a little easier for that but since I've done very little wiggle cutting I am just guessing.

This is another one I'm going to have to print out for easy reference at my bench.*

*yes, I could have a computer handy but sometimes paper is just easier to deal with.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Flower walking tool

Here is my flower walking tool. Don't know it's like anyone elses, but I would guess it was. I just used a 45 flat that was too short for anything else, nocked the tip off with a hammer, and just sharpined it up. Needs to be sharp without burrs, or a burr will show up as a cross line in the wriggle. Thanks for posting the tutorial. Seth

Attachments

• Flower walker 001.jpg
    Flower walker 001.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Flower walker 002.jpg
    Flower walker 002.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Flower walker 004.jpg
    Flower walker 004.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Greg, A sweet tutor for a very elegant flower. I also saw how to make a liner from a small section of one.
Thanks, gailm

Andrew Biggs

Hi Greg

Fabulous tutorial. Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to do that.

I second what Tira has said!!

Really appreciated............thank you.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hey Greg...my sincerest thanks for taking the time to make such an excellent photo tutorial! Absolutely awesome! We're pleased to have it in the Tips Archive, and don't hesitate to make more if you'd like to.
Cheers / ~Sam

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great tutorial, Greg!..........Nice flower! Nice pictures!

Thanks for sharing.

Ron S

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Greg
I use that tool as well to do my flower shading. With the curved end you end up with a very fine point at the end of the line instead of a enlarged end like you get with a flat graver you use to do the regular wiggle cut.
Rod

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Greg,

Thanks for your generous tutorial giving us wanna-be bright cutters essential vocabulary, and thank you also for all of your postings showing clear pictures of your finished pieces.

Do some engravers call the fast shader a 'flutter' tool?

Diane Scalese's tool for that job is essentially the same geometry. True you can do a lot of damage real fast until the skill is developed, yet in your hand the results have their own charm, and I like the slightly curved line that is natural with this tool.

You, and independently, Diane, have the experience to make bright cutting look easy, yet mastering the tool control is demanding in the initial stages. Even for those who are not working silver regularly, bright cut mastery is a wonderful skill that can influence tool control in other styles, and probably a good transition into carving.

best

Rod

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
I am very glad that this tutorial is well received. I am always happy to help.

Rod, I have heard that some like to call it a "flutter" tool. The guys that I grew up with and I have always just called it a "flower tool".

On a separate post I am loading pictures of my flower tool.

Greg Pauline

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Greg, This is a great tutorial. Thanks once again for being so generous with your time and knowledge. I sure do appreciate it.

Stewart

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Howdy Greg,
I made three different sizes with carbide tips soldered on them.This makes the shading really fine and no little scratchy shadow in the shading.Glad to see you do this tutorial too.

gbspurs

Greg thanks I saw that one the bit and spur forum and it has been a great help I use that flower a lot and it has helped me come up with other variations
Thanks again George

Latest posts

Sponsors