shading w

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
I have a quick q about using grs equip. Right now I'm using the mach w the 901 handpiece for all of my engraving. I've noticed w shading it's not easy cheese, I know that it takes great graver control and I'm still fairly new to the game but my question is how much will the monarch help in finer shading and control? Will some of you that use both let me know what you think. Also, I have switched the big spring in my 901 to the small one.
Thanks
Jeff

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I always use the Monarch for shading, Jeff. It's not a night-and-day difference between the 901, but is definitely more suited for light, highly controlled fine lines. I also use a light spring in my Monarch.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jetta,
Again I always stress making sure you have the hand peice tuned properly. Too much or too little air pressure makes a difference in shading. Also make sure it is real clean. There are instructions on the GRS site how to clean. Moisture and oil are common problems with air supplies. They work fine for everyday cutting but will be a bit "sticky" when trying to shade. The Monarch is finer for sure but the 901 can do a LOT. In fact, I know of several including myself that use the Magnum for some shading.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have only the 901 till now, I use the soft spring unless I have to cut really hard in Titanium (not engraving).
As Sam advised me, the monarch is on my wishing list, but I'm sure that practising the fine shadow lines with the 901 can only improve with the monarch.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The 901 is capable of very fine detail. This was done with the 901 and standard spring.

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, that is gorgeous. I just sat here and looked at it for a long, long time.

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys.
Sam, I guess when I come to your class at GRS I'll get a chance at using the monarch and can then make a solid decision.
Jeff

Latest posts

Sponsors