annoying thing

nicglass1

hello from Iraq everyone! well i finally was able to find some really neat little knives with what appeared to be a stainless handle. of course i dont have pictures of one to show you becuase something about the guys around here not wanting you to use a thumb drive in their computers. anyway, this dang handle is HARD AS HECK! i am just push engraving since i wasnt able to bring the gravermiester. it cuts oddly... it seems to be ok then it starts to "start and stop" almost like you popped the clutch in an old chevy. when i try to control this the graver ends up slipping and making a huge gash across it. also i am breaking tips like never before on this thing... i am going to steepen the face angle and see it that helps, but is there anything that anyone can tell me to help with the cutting? the metel is not stamped or marked anywhere on it. if i had my gravermiester then it would not be a problem cuz i can cut almost anything with it, just have to slow down, but with pushing... but hey, i only paid $1.50 for this knife from the haji shop, so i guess you get what you pay for.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had similar problems with my cheap Zippo - it's chromed brass and just a few molocules difference in chrome thickness makes a major difference in how it cuts.

Been meaning to try using some lube on the graver to see if it helps - I've heard that it should.

Since you're keeping things portable (whether you want to or not) you could always go with hammer & chisel. If you have the bucks you could go with a Lindsay PalmControl run off of CO2 but I'm betting your budget is more in the H&C range since all you need to do is come up with a couple of handles and something to use as a hammer.

Well, and practice like heck until you get it under control.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
TRY A STEEPER FACE ANGLE. also try grinding the tool wider than 90 degrees, try going up to say, 110 degrees. that will make the tip less prone to breakage. how's yer ballvise been workin ?

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Nicglass1;
Sounds as though your knife scales are made out of 308, or 316 stainless. Steepen the face angle, and if you can lay hands on it, try some carbide tools. I am assuming that you are using 90 deg gravers, if so try dubbing the point of the graver, it some times will help.

Keep your head down & Watch your back.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nicglass1,

That is where the hammer and chisel comes in. Trying to do that stuff with a palm tool is murder. The pam tool was designed for fine work. You might not even be able to do it with H&C. It is good to stay away from these things anyway. They will only make you look bad in the long run.............

Imagine tring to dig a hole in asphalt with a shovel compared to a jack hammer.

You are treading on the edges of technical impossibilities. Life is too short, Nick, and if you can't knic it, kick it................HaHaha!shock

:beerchug: :)

Ron S

Latest posts

Sponsors