Question: Sharpening system

catnip

Hi, I'm on the verge of buying some GRS equipment. It's about the Dual angle sharpening fixture. Is this system only for use with the Power hone system, or can it also be used for manual stoning and polishing?
Regards Tony

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You can sweep the dual angle fixture over a regular whetstone if you wish.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tony

There are also things you can substitute for the PowerHone. I tried to use my flat lap machine from my lapidary stuff but it lacked a flat and stable top to act as a base. I could have made one but since I had the funding to get the PowerHone I went the easy route. In the interval between I used my Smith's 3-in-1 hone so I know it can be done.

You can use a drill press, especially with the thin disks. I noticed that Steve Lindsay sells a mandrel you can chuck up to make it easy to do. I've seen a couple people talk about using facet cutters. I'll bet you could rig a belt sander to use for roughing things in, although I'd be very careful about the graver getting caught.

Sharpening on a hand stone isn't too bad but shaping will flat wear your arm out.

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Catnip, the GRS dual angle sharpener is the nicest sharpener out there. If you wanted to change the angle of a graver you can choose ANY angle you want by the degree if you wanted. I've had mine for 2o years and wouldnt give it up for the world. I use all different sizes of sharpening disks of diamond and never had any problems at all.

Latest posts

Sponsors