video recomendation

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am wanting to improve my soldering skills and fabrication skills (mostly for fly rod ideas I have in mind).

Can any of you recomend a good video or set of videos that does a good job of teaching fabrication and soldering skills on precious and semi-precious metals?

Rio Grand and others have a wide variety and i don't know which to buy so guidance from some folks who have seen some of them would be great.

Thanks,

Ray

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray,
What used to be technicalvideorental.com and now is smartflix.com may have what you are looking for. It costs $9.95 to rent for a week.

I would guess some of the jewelers will have some good advice.

Peter

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Peter,

I had thought about that but I think i would just asson buy something so I have it around for future reference.

I have a couple fly rod ideas that require soldering bronze argentium and maybe even some gold. I need something that does a good job on explaining how to match color and solder in stages from hard to easy flow solders.

I may go ahead and rent something from them as a sort of preview before buying. I don't guess that would be a bad idea.

Ray

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray
The videos that Alan Revere does are very good. I'll be glad to talk to you anytime about it just give me a call. If you don't have my phone just give me a email.
One thing to remmeber is if you do any silver soldering on silver, simply clean the area with a scotch pad and flux twice it will flow every time.
Mike

metalartz

Ray
The older Hoover & Strong catalog has a good section on soldering, all the does and don'ts . it may be in the new catalog too.

Now I am just beginning to learn to engrave, I've done a lot of soldering. I would rent all the tapes I could find, because every jeweler has their preferred way to set up and solder, and they will show and tell you what they think are the important steps. but each one may add in a different little detail that can make life much easier As friend said "if you ask a dozen jewelers how to do something you will get twenty answers

-david

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Ray,
I think if you buy the Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight there is a video edition, and you can buy the Professional edition to go with it for reference. I have not seen the video version but if it is half as complete as the book it is well worth the 40 bucks. I have not seen any of the newer versions of the book. I am still happy with my 1980 version. Lots of good tables/charts, and good tips. Rio Grande sell it. Gail

Latest posts

Sponsors