MAC compatible Laser Printers for transfers?

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Hello, I am having so much trouble with my Brother all-in-one inkjet, that I am going to go laser. But I want one that does not have a history of software conflicts.

Question:

What kind of printer do you use on your MAC?

I have OS system 10.4.11, either USB or Ethernet compatible.

Thanks,
Tom

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Tom. Maybe Rod Cameron will shed some info on this. I know he's using his Mac for transferring.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom, I think just about any laser that would work with a PC will work with a Mac. I know I've been out and needed to print something and my Mac goes out onto the web and finds the driver and downloads it so I can print almost anything anywhere. The Mac system has been so much easier to use than the PC. If you know the printer is good for transfers in general, you should be able to get it to work with your Mac. Just my $0.02.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Tom C;
I am currently using an old HP 2200d mono, and a newer 2605dn color. I use them on a MAC Book Pro and have not had any problems with the as far as drivers, or quirks. My MAC is the Intel dual core processor, with 10.4 opp system.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Tom, I apologize. For some reason I was thinking inkjet and not laser.

I have an HP 1200e Laserjet that works well with my G5 PowerMac (last generation non-intel processor). The same printer used with my intel Macbook Pro notebook is a royal pain to use as the HP hasn't coded drivers for Intel Macs. The good news is that printer is several years old and you probably will not have that issue with a new one, but I mention it because you should check the specs carefully before you buy to be sure everything will work as you like.

I've also heard stories from students of mine that had problems transferring with Brother printers. For some reason some models use a type of toner that doesn't transfer so well. If you buy locally test a few printouts in the store first.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I think most new printers have drivers for Mac, but always ask from the seller to be sure. Or if you're buying from net then usually in description it is said whether it's supported or not. If it's not mentioned there, then you can check manufacturers website for mac drivers.

My experience has been to just plug and print, no need to install even something.

Sam

Staff member
Pretty much my experience too, Vilts, except for that HP 1200. Oh, and I bought an Epson C66 inkjet that had no Mac drivers. This isn't the norm, though. Nearly everything should work with Macs now days. My only concern would be knowing for sure the laser toner will transfer after hearing complaints by some that theirs wouldn't work. This had nothing to do with the computer of course. Just the type of toner.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
The plan for me might be to work backwards after selecting the toner. THEN see if the printer will run on MAC.

I have a Brother all in one, which says it runs on MAC, but the software is so cumbersome and my MAC freezes up constantly if the printer is plugged in. So just because it says it supports MAC, doesn't mean it supports it well.

Thanks, everyone, for your time and thoughts.

Tom

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for the info guys. By coincidence, I just returned from Wal-mart. I was looking for a printer for my Mac, but didn't think the HP would work. Timely info.

Sam

Staff member
I'm always delighted to see creative individuals drawn to the Mac. What an excellent platform for the audio, video, and graphics enthusiast.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Tom
I have HP Laser Jet 1320; it works beautifully. It's my default printer. It does everything well. No problems. I have an iMac, Mac OS X version 10.4.11.
I bought a Epson C88+ ink jet printer in order to use TW's transfer system.
The HP along with acetone does a good job.
Kevin P.

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
I have an HP 4ML bought used for 30 dollars it is made for Mac but it works good with my PC. I use the acetone transfer system. any dry black toner will work